Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: tilting your sewing machine

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mpspeedy
    I did it long ago. My machines are all computerized. It doesn't hurt them in the least. Nancy's Notions actually sells a tilt board that is adustable and has cut outs for your knee lift bar, cords etc. The only thing that bothers me sometimes is seeing in the bobbin case when I am changing bobbins or cleaning etc. I have my whole sewing table set up at just the right height where my arms are level with my sewing machine surface when they are bent at the elbow. It does help with fatigue and neck strain. You can accomplish the same thing with door stops under the back of the machine. The tilt table is just more stable and I love gadgets. I don't remember what I paid for it but it has been well worth whatever it was.
    I looked at NancyNotions and did not see a tilt table available...I will search another way just to check it out...

Have used the door stops for tilting my machine forward for a long time, work fine. A friend discovered one of those computer lap trays (with the little fan inside) works well too. She had one in which the little fan no longer worked, it is higher in the back than the front and works like a charm...gonna watch garage sales or thrift shops for one...door stops work o.k., but sometime slip out of place, the tray stays put.

I don't get it. If I tilt my machine toward me the top of the machine gets in the way and I can't see anything. I would think that tilting it away from you would open up the area where the needle and make it so you don't have to been over the machine.

I bought a couple of rubber door stops last night and that really seems to do the trick. Feels like the machine is steady and I can still adjust as needed. Starting a new project tonight so time will tell.

I have a computerized machine and have used a tilting board for many years. It has not damages the machine but has definitely helped me not only see better but alleviated a lot of the neck/shoulder pain I got from sewing too long. I highly recommend it. :thumbup:

My husband just did this for me after I saw it on the QB as a suggestion. It was WONDERFUL for my back and arms. Now we are visiting our daughter in Georgia and I forgot my piece of moulding that we used to tilt it with and do I ever miss it!!!

YES, it is a lifesaver!!!

I also use the rubber door stoppers, it does help, and the price is right.

Blog Entries
    I do this and the difference is amazing. There is less stress on the back and shoulders and the needle is not so much in a shadow.

I have used rubber door stoppers under my machines for years! Definitely helps with strain on my neck, arms, etc.

Debbie Umphress also makes/sells boards to go under your machine. She is a member here~ :)

I have a support for my laptop that I bought at Ikea (put "Brada" in their search) It's inexpensive and would work in a similar fashion as the tilt boards. It has a ledge in the front to prevent slipping. (works fantastic for my laptop too!)

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    interesting after 20 years of sewing I learn something new everyday !! Thanks !!!

I have the tray that tips the machine, and when I first started using it, I felt it helped my neck and shoulders. But, I've since removed it and don't notice any difference. My machine is computerized. Doesn't hurt them. But, I wouldn't invest in the tilt table without trying other cheaper lifting options first. Oh, yes! It made it very difficult to put my extension table on AND be tilted. That's probably why I took it off!

I used the rubber door stoppers to tilt my machine, and I thought it helped me a lot. However, when I quilted, I didn't have a very wide flat space for the quilt, so I bought a 'filler' for the space in my cabinet for the machine to fit into so that I would have a flat space. However, I think I will be going back to tilting my machine when I do my piecing because it helps so much.

Blog Entries
    Yes, it does help. Nothing is designed for us "height-challenged" folks.

Quote Originally Posted by mpspeedy
    I did it long ago. My machines are all computerized. It doesn't hurt them in the least. Nancy's Notions actually sells a tilt board that is adustable and has cut outs for your knee lift bar, cords etc. The only thing that bothers me sometimes is seeing in the bobbin case when I am changing bobbins or cleaning etc. I have my whole sewing table set up at just the right height where my arms are level with my sewing machine surface when they are bent at the elbow. It does help with fatigue and neck strain. You can accomplish the same thing with door stops under the back of the machine. The tilt table is just more stable and I love gadgets. I don't remember what I paid for it but it has been well worth whatever it was.
    Another wonderful tip from this board..I will have to try this..thank you..

Blog Entries
    The vintage Singer 401, 403, 404, 500 and 50e all are fantastic machines and don't need to be tilted. The needle is slanted and you can see without straining your neck.

Why did you not mention this before? Some things just make sense, but we are trapped in the "that's the way I've always done it". I just put door stoppers on my shopping list. Maybe I can cross off ibuprofen which I always seem to need when I finish a project.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    The vintage Singer 401, 403, 404, 500 and 50e all are fantastic machines and don't need to be tilted. The needle is slanted and you can see without straining your neck.
    I have a 403 Slant-o-Matic and I found that I still like having it tilted. Maybe because I'm 5' 2 1/2" on a good day, have a back neck, shoulder & lower back? Don't know, just know that I'm not leaning forward as much to get a good eye's view. Instead I can sit back in my chair and have a straight on view. Hard to explain. Wish I could take a picture to show the difference that I mean.

My husband made me wood ones. Works great and helps with my back.

Blog Entries
    I have a computerized viking I've been tilting for YEARS. it seems to be fine, i don't tilt when embroidering though

I also read on this board about the rubber door stops. Went to the hardware store to buy them.... and have forgotten to use them until now. Thanks for the reminder!

My LQS gave us all an empty fabric bolt, the cardboard thing, to put under the back of our machines to tilt them. They were free, so why not? Worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by luv-e
    I have used the rubber door stoppers you buy @ the $ Store...
    I know it helps me to see better......
    Ditto, I got the larger ones. Keep one set in my rolling machine case, the other on my sewing cabinet.

The legs on slide on clear table are adjustable. All I had to do was make the ones in the back higher to match the elevated back of the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by luv-e
    I have used the rubber door stoppers you buy @ the $ Store...
    I know it helps me to see better......
    I do the same thing. I get the clear ones.
    Made a big difference for me. Also helps me see what I am sewing.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast