Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tip toe through the hexagons Cutie style! Cutting >

Tip toe through the hexagons Cutie style! Cutting

Tip toe through the hexagons Cutie style! Cutting

Old 01-31-2011, 01:00 PM

I'm no expert either - but I think Omak has some good suggestions. At the very least - Don't throw it away! Put it away for a while. When I come back to a quilt I'll like is so much better! I think you will like it when you aren't frustrated. It really is pretty.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by liwilliams
I'm no expert either - but I think Omak has some good suggestions. At the very least - Don't throw it away! Put it away for a while. When I come back to a quilt I'll like is so much better! I think you will like it when you aren't frustrated. It really is pretty.
well, you know ... when you put a quilt away to work on later, you keep living your life, get new perspectives and abilites, inspirations, so the next time you get back to it ... a new awareness accompanies you. I just saw an OBW on another thread, and they took a dark line through one side of it, shooting down at the width that the little triangles were (or there abouts) ... and it just added a new angle. <wave>
Old 01-31-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by omak
[well, you know ... when you put a quilt away to work on later, you keep living your life, get new perspectives and abilites, inspirations, so the next time you get back to it ... a new awareness accompanies you.
This is so true. I've put quilts away for a couple years, learned new techinques and applied them to the quilt. And I've been so happy I didn't just finish it up but let it simmer and come out being a quilt I'm proud of and happy with!
Old 02-04-2011, 05:27 PM

Thanks everyone. I put it away, but am still thinking about it. I saw one where the quilter put the blocks on black fabric and it looked like a coral reef, I may do that...later.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by fryguymoore
I am completely incapable of doing this :( :( :( :( :(

This will be the first quilt I have gotton half way done and then threw in the trash.

I considered adding cubes but I don't think that will help and I don't want to put even more effort into such an ugly quilt.

I can't tell whick blocks are dark and which are light, so my daughter tried to salvage this.

Is there any hope? Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this?
What about putting all the reddish ones together more in the center but sort of have them in a diagonal, then all the orange ones in a clump at the outside, then the caramel ones and then the lighter ones (with lots of white) after that and joining back up with the orange ones. Sometimes it helps to just totally change them around. I find it also helps to blend one color into the next if you have some hex's that have both colors in them, in this area: like red and orange in the spot where the mostly red stops and in between where the mostly orange start. Does this make sense?
Old 02-07-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover

This will be the first quilt I have gotton half way done and then threw in the trash.

I considered adding cubes but I don't think that will help and I don't want to put even more effort into such an ugly quilt.

I can't tell whick blocks are dark and which are light, so my daughter tried to salvage this.

What about putting all the reddish ones together more in the center but sort of have them in a diagonal, then all the orange ones in a clump at the outside, then the caramel ones and then the lighter ones (with lots of white) after that and joining back up with the orange ones. Sometimes it helps to just totally change them around. I find it also helps to blend one color into the next if you have some hex's that have both colors in them, in this area: like red and orange in the spot where the mostly red stops and in between where the mostly orange start. Does this make sense?
I tried to try this, it still isn't right, but it is closer.

The cube I stuck in there isn't the right size. It is actually a block from I swap I am in. I have to send it back. I think it looks kind of neat. I am going to try to make some smaller cubes. Then I will spend some more time forcing my family members to move the blocks around. I seem to be able to see what it wrong but I can't see how to fix it!!!

A random cube
[ATTACH=CONFIG]118366[/ATTACH]

The lastest arrangement
[ATTACH=CONFIG]118392[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-118361.jpe   attachment-118387.jpe  
Old 02-07-2011, 08:43 PM

I don't mean to hurt feelings but I like the top arrangement better than with the added 'cubes'. I think the top one looks like it swirls around...will make a nice quilt. I would border it with a purple or tan...but I am not the quilt police and will wait and be pleasantly surprised when I see how yours comes out. :-) Don't give up.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover

I tried to try this, it still isn't right, but it is closer.

The cube I stuck in there isn't the right size. It is actually a block from I swap I am in. I have to send it back. I think it looks kind of neat. I am going to try to make some smaller cubes. Then I will spend some more time forcing my family members to move the blocks around. I seem to be able to see what it wrong but I can't see how to fix it!!!
After looking again at your hex's, I think I know what I don't care for and why. It's those hex's that are mostly caramel and solid - not much pattern on them. Would you like your arrangement if you removed the more solid caramel ones? Also put those dark pink ones all together with the redder ones, even if they aren't all exactly the same color. That cube is too stark in comparison to your hex's. Remember these are just my thoughts, not the Quilt Police.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4
I don't mean to hurt feelings but I like the top arrangement better than with the added 'cubes'. I think the top one looks like it swirls around...will make a nice quilt. I would border it with a purple or tan...but I am not the quilt police and will wait and be pleasantly surprised when I see how yours comes out. :-) Don't give up.
Thanks. The layouts are the same just taken from a different angle. I will see what a purple border looks like. I have to redo the whole thing since the cat got to it
Old 02-08-2011, 02:26 PM

Fireworkslover, thanks for the ideas. I thought the red ones looked stupid, just didn't know what to do about it. I will try your suggestions tonight and then lock up the kitties!!!!!!