Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Using cones of thread

Quote Originally Posted by kakels View Post
    http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...r__D71253.html

I've seen this one and it's very pretty.... if you want to spend the money for it. I don't use cone thread, but if I did I'd get one of these.
    I just use a tall jar, but this is soooo cute! And I love how you can keep matching bobbins on the same holder! Very clever and cute! Yeah, it's a bit pricey, but then it is a functional piece of artwork.

My DH made me ( he has a wood shop) made me the most wonderful cone thread holder. I use it with all my different machines. He made a round wooden base and made it extendable (so I can adjust it to what height I need for each machine) He also made a loop on top to hold and guide the thread. I would love to put a pic, but I still haven't figured out how on here! Will try again this afternoon!
    Country 1

I have an all metal stand that I got from Amazon, which feeds fine during sewing (after a little modification), but it does not love to wind bobbins. Can you easily wind bobbins off the superior stand?

I use this little tool. http://www.quiltersparadiseesc.com/O...Directions.pdf

I don't bother with a jar or coffee cup since the cones stand up all by themselves. I buy Prescencia on the large cones. They're not cheap to buy but it still cuts the actual price of the thread way down.

Blog Entries
    My husband made me an insert for the larger spool/cone that goes inside from a dowel rod. He just drilled a hole up the center of the dowel rod so it fits onto the spool holder on the machine. It works great.

Thank you quilters for all the wonderful replies! I've been trying to figure out how to do this myself and now I have a pretty good idea.

Blog Entries
    Me too, I agree!!

Now that's my kind of do it your self spoil holder, beats the light weight one I bought. Didn't use my engineering brain and think of making one. Good job thanks for sharing.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Try a straight sided pint canning jar, or a paper towel holder. Look around your house for things that might work. There is no magic in purchased thread holders that I can see and I own one, but use a canning jar most of the time.

I have had success with just placing the cone over the normal big spool of sewing thread. That way the cone is stable and does not fall off when I sew. Hope you know what I mean.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast