Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the Best Long Arm to Buy >

What is the Best Long Arm to Buy

What is the Best Long Arm to Buy

Old 06-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Banned

I know this thread is like beating a dead horse because its more than likely been asked several hundred times, BUT I am biting the bullet and buying a Long Arm.

You know me I am not in all this fancy smancy new fangled sewing apparatuses, but I am seeing a need that needs to be filled so to speak.

The use of the machine will be personal but if I can do it for others and make a buck I will. I would like for one to be CNC capable so I can create the design on the computer and then hit a button and watch it go. Whether I purchase that option or not, I want the company to offer something like that. And space is not an issue.

So what are your opinions and recommendations.

Billy
Old 06-25-2010, 05:46 PM

If I could afford it I would have the Crown Jewel by Babylock. I have seen several demos and tried all of them, and so far that is my favorite. That would work best for me. Have you tried any at quilt shows, that where I usually get the oportunity.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:57 PM

Today I had an opportunity to play with every machine under the sun. I would like to one day own a long arm, and I also know that is a matter of personal preference and getting used to it, but I really like to sit down to quilt. I enjoyed a lot the HQ and the Thin Lizzy, both sit down models. I have never had a chance to test the George. I find long arms wonky, but if I move the quilt is a lot better for me.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:00 PM

If I could stretch my Juki, I would. An all metal, straight mechanical machine. I love it.

I have been trying them out at quilt shows and such. I like the Nolting. I think because of it's similarity to my Juki and my old machines. Less to muck up.

I think you could put a computer on it but not sure of the interface, because I don't think they are computerized machines. (I like to do it myself, so am not interested in Q-bot stuff).
Old 06-25-2010, 06:00 PM

I have a gammill. It doesn't have the computer on it. It does have the regulated stitch and the lazer and the circle thingy and comes with patterns to follow with the lazer etc. I dont' use any of it. I do free hand quilting and that is all I will do.

I choose the Gammill because it is all steel gears, no plastic and even the body of the machine itself is cast from a mold and I like that, all metal. The table is awesome...no weakness that I have noticed with other tables, no shaking etc...the rollers are nice and fat and strong as compared to others I have seen....Go to gammill.com and check it out....I tried a several and the gammill did it for me...you can move the head with your finger...it channel locks horizonal or vertical and there is so much more...go check...

I know some ladies like designs all overy their quilt, I don't. I want to see my work not the stitching. The stitching just support the quilt, that's how I look at it.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:03 PM

I own the affordable long arm--a Tin Lizzie 18LS. I love it! It can do anything a Gammill can do. There are other machines that are similar and in the price range of the Tin Lizzie. I would go try several dif ones out if you can.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:04 PM

Tin Lizzie is all metal too. Heavy machine.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:34 PM
Banned

Well like everyone else in this economy I want the most bang for the buck but I also want one that will last my wife and I for a long time.

As far as servicing the machine I can more likely do that myself and since I will be in the backwoods the idea of a service call will never cross my mind.

But thank you for your input and keep the comments coming!!!

Billy
Old 06-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Power Poster

Have you seen this? I think it's fantastic!

.....The Martelli LaCresta long arm quilting machine is built to never see the service technician once the machine is installed. This is one long arm quilting machine you have to see....

The Martelli website is under construction but here is a description of the LA.
http://www.caldwellsewvac.com/martelli-lacresta.php
Old 06-25-2010, 06:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Have you seen this? I think it's fantastic!

.....The Martelli LaCresta long arm quilting machine is built to never see the service technician once the machine is installed. This is one long arm quilting machine you have to see....

The Martelli website is under construction but here is a description of the LA.
http://www.caldwellsewvac.com/martelli-lacresta.php
That is a neat machine and I like the fact that the rails are overhead. If you ever rode a suspended roller coaster then you know how smooth the ride is.

Billy