Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 16 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the biggest mistake you made when making a quilt?

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries

What is the biggest mistake you made when making a quilt?

I have made soooo many mistakes that I can't really define one exactly, but I remember cutting out 8" squares for the background for my applique Snowmen. After I cut 36 squares out, I reread the instructions and realized they were suppose to be 9". The Snowmen had very many pieces to each one and I had the hardest time making each piece small enough to look right on the smaller block. It made the entire quilt a nightmare. I had to try all different sizes for each piece of the snowman and the trees and birds and fence and house in each block. I know to read the instructions twice and cut once, but I had to learn the hard way. What was your biggest mistake?
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I once did a paper pieced block with all the seams on the front side of the fabrics. Otherwise, it was perfect. The only one I ever tried that was "perfect". And the last one I ever tried.

I was about to do a hand quilting job on a large Texas Star with muslin background. I ironed the top and was horrified when rusty water came out and left a stain on the muslin. Fortunately the customer (who owned a quilt shop) had more and I was able to replace the piece.

I did only DRY ironing for about 20 years after that!!

Cutting 5 inch squares and ending up with a rectangle. I had a 8 1/2 inch square ruler and had turned it the wrong way.

Blog Entries
    I always make more then one mistake on any quilt I make. That's a given for me. It doesn't bother me anymore.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I have a foot with a guide, but I have to move the needle to get the magic 1/4". I once chain pieced about a hundred HSTs and then found that I had forgotten to move the needle. They were cut too small to retrim and the blocks were partially done. I had enough fabric to cut more then used the problem ones in the border.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    My biggest mistage was having one block sidewards when I sewed the quilt together. I sandwiched it, top quilted it, and bound it, never seeing the mistake. My 6 year grand daughter (the quilt recipient) saw it. Old eyes!!
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Blog Entries
    My worst mistake was adding the wrong green fabric to a quilt. It was for a Charity project and I didn't notice it until it was finished. I felt bad that I picked up the wrong green fabric, but what could I do?
    Quilted Hugs from me to you!! Check out my Blog!!
    http://www.lisasquiltgarden.blogspot.com/

Getting married for the second time.....oh wait.....this has nothing to do with quilting......

I made all the blocks for a Buzz Saw quilt from flannel and then I realized that I had sewn each and every one of them together wrong. I picked each quilt block apart with a seam ripper and then put them back together. I saved every scrap of thread that I pulled out and put them in a jar. I put a label on the jar to remind me to read the instructions and I keep that jar right next my sewing machine!

Colleen

Page 1 of 16 1 2 11 ... LastLast