Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What constitutes an 'I Spy' ?

What constitutes an 'I Spy' ?

I see references to 'I Spy' quilts & blocks often on the board. What makes a fabric fit this description? I see people looking for 'I spy' but I never respond because I don't really know what that is...
    Shannon

i always think of quilts designed with children in mind using graphic intense fabrics fussy cut to highlight particular images drawn out of the design.

they tend to be simple block patterns, and if the patterns are more complex the images tend to be centered in the stars or whatever.

bright, bold and playful!

i am sure there are adult versions too.

aileen

remember the game we played as kids i spy a cow i spy a car . there are a lot of different pics and you and you take terns finding the the pics.

novelty fabrics-
    when you play i spy you say-(an example)-- "i spy a frog" then the other person tries to find the frog=== can be anything- sometimes we search for all different (things) to use in our i spy's---other times we may use pairs- so it's a matching game-
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

So does it mean the image you are trying to find is hiden in the print of the fabric? What I hear described is more the item is featured...

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    novelty fabrics-
    when you play i spy you say-(an example)-- "i spy a frog" then the other person tries to find the frog=== can be anything- sometimes we search for all different (things) to use in our i spy's---other times we may use pairs- so it's a matching game-
    Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by beatys9 View Post
    So does it mean the image you are trying to find is hiden in the print of the fabric? What I hear described is more the item is featured...
    The item is featured. Use many different items so there are lots of thing to look for. In a matching "I Spy" there are 2 same blocks to search for, which have to be found to make a match. You could 'hide' a featured item in the print you cut, but I would only make that for an older child that has more experience in looking for specific items.

Washington, playing with my fabric stash!
    Blog Entries
    I am gathering fabrics and/or fabric pieces to make some 'I spy' quilts. I have wondered if there is a specific pattern or just use a simple block for it?

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    One of my co-workers made an I-Spy quilt for her granddaughter. She basically just cut squares out of interesting fabrics, and then sashed them together with a solid color. I think she used squares that were about 5" across (finished size), and the sashing strips were probably about 1.5".

No it does not mean that the object is hidden.

Blog Entries
    Check out all the different ways they are done. http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...c8&fr2=piv-web

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast