Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What constitutes an 'I Spy' ? >

What constitutes an 'I Spy' ?

What constitutes an 'I Spy' ?

Old 08-30-2012, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
I like your 'I Spy' quilt, Sewbeadit!
Thank you sewextremeseams, it was fun to make.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:13 AM

This is a quilt for my great nephew. It was a hit. Mom held it and dad and grandpa did the Ispy. It was so funny and I know this will be used for years. Two board members sent me blocks to help with this one. Sorry the second pic is a little blury.
Attached Thumbnails 100_2406.jpg   100_2407.jpg  
Old 08-30-2012, 04:21 AM

I just finished my second "I Spy Through Attic Windows" quilt and think of I Spy quilts as something one could use to play with a toddler. I Spy With My Little Eye, an airplane. Or a cowboy, or a school bus - any piece of fabric that has something a child could identify as part of the game. This weekend I'm starting on my third one - they are a lot of fun to make - now I just have to find a little kid to give it to.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:46 AM

I like the idea of the jar quilt. Kids and their treasures! My boys had a thing for rocks. One rock was so big that it collapsed the wall shelf it was on plus all the ones below it and landed on his pillow - luckily he was at school when it happened! That was the oldest one - he stopped collecting rocks after that for some reason.

A local quilt store had a sidewalk sale a couple of weeks ago. Got fat quarters for a $1 each. They had a lot of food fabrics so I went a little wild thinking of all the I spy quilts I could make and save - hopefully for grandkids.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by audsgirl View Post
The first I Spy quilts were designed by Possibilities and were featured on Simply Quilts with Alex Anderson. They had hexagons joined together with triangles filling in. It was patterned in their book P.S. I Love You Two, published in 1992. In the narrow inner border, they machine embroidered the words I Spy, and then named an image for the child to look for. Since then, other people have taken that idea and designed other quilts, but they have the same intent.
Interesting...thanks for the history. I will be needing to make one in the near future and was a bit confused on the concept. I did also check the link posted earlier and got a lot of good ideas. These are such great projects to use up those bits and pieces of novelty fabrics!