Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Quilty Prize Would Make You Want to Buy a Raffle Ticket? >

What Quilty Prize Would Make You Want to Buy a Raffle Ticket?

What Quilty Prize Would Make You Want to Buy a Raffle Ticket?

Old 08-19-2014, 07:03 AM

I am a visual person so would like to see any prizes in person. The rotary blades would definitely make me interested in buying a raffle ticket. You can get a 5 pk of Olfa 45mm for around $18.00 at Walmart. Quilting rulers would be good but which ones to include to make it interesting would be the question. I know flying geese, HST and hexies are all the rage now. The same with quilt patterns (what pattern to include). Maybe something special like Tula Pink's Butterfly quilt. It depends on taste of course.

Also consider creating a basket full of quilt themed stationary from BBD Creations. The prices are fantastic and this is often something completely different. You could stuff a basket full at their prices. The postcards are wonderful & suitable for framing.

Something different to include with any of your prizes may be to collect some of the Row by Row patterns/kits from your area LQS to include as an added surpise to any package. Just some of my thoughts. Good luck with your prize hunt.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:53 AM

A rotating mat would have me buying a ticket!
Old 08-19-2014, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

A larger rotating cutting mat, I have a 14" one and it is fantastic when making quilts, HST's, etc.; packets of sewing machine needles, assorted patterns for bags, table runners, quilts, etc., and fabrics, pkg. of 4-6 fat quarters, etc., etc. Hope this helps you out.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:03 PM

I'm in the minority here, but what I'd like is a gift certificate to my LQS so I could pick out what I needed/wanted.

I know some folks here mentioned rotary blades. I never, ever use 45 mm blades, I only use the 28mm size (I have tiny hands and anything bigger than 28 mm is unwieldy for me), so those would "go to waste" if I would win them. Thread? What colors? Fabric? Hmmm...not the print/colors I use. (Yes, I know I'd have the choice to choose which prize I wanted). Quilting, to me, is subjective. I like what I like and you like what you like. Know what I mean? I don't mean to sound so negative as the raffles are a great idea, but I agree, here's my $1 donation but I don't want a ticket. Just my humble opinion...please don't flame me.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by CookyIN View Post
Ott light. I don't think I'd ever buy one for myself, but if one was in a raffle... oh yeah! I think they're half price now at Joann and am pretty sure you can get one for $30.

The most expensive items I buy are cutting mats and rotary blades. So those things in a raffle would really make me take notice.
Just wanted to say I wouldn't be without my ott lights. I love them and go ahead and splurge on yourself, you will wonder what took you so long!
Old 08-19-2014, 05:56 PM

I always buy tickets for the 100 fat quarters in a basket. It is so beautiful to see the colors, values. I have heard others say they are glad they didn't win as it would be more ufos to start, more work.

Smaller raffles are done on the hour but you have to be there to win. I don't like those.

There is one ticket game to guess the number of buttons in a jar. That one always gets me.

Batting, rotary cutters, bobbin holders, the new clip binding tools, etc. are the smaller prices.

I don't win but I buy tickets.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

A gift card always works..
Old 08-19-2014, 06:43 PM

Not sure I've read all the posts so sorry if I'm repeating an idea, but for those that aren't excited about quilting notions/fabric already purchased perhaps a gift certificate for a class of their choice on Craftsy or a 6month membership to the Quilt Show (Alex Anderson & Ricky Tims) - I've learned many things from their shows and just listening to different quilt designers and artists- their stories, motivations, styles etc. I find very interesting and entertaining. Maybe others would too. Also an Amazon gift card to purchase a quilt book or DVD of their choice or a gift card for Nancy's Notions, MSQC or another site that has a variety of items and is known for good service.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:10 PM

I'm in the camp with those who think of items that need to be replaced like rotary blades, pins and thread etc. but I also like the idea of some specialty items like the ergonomic rotary cutter that I wish I had, or the block lock ruler or maybe some of those unique Fons & Porter rulers like the ones for half and quarter square triangles. I'm one of those who can't really afford every new gadget I see but would certainly cough up a buck to try to win one (even though I don't win things very often).