Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what would you do if your daughter came home and said you ex is getting married and ? >

what would you do if your daughter came home and said you ex is getting married and ?

what would you do if your daughter came home and said you ex is getting married and ?

Old 12-01-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Help her make one, you might be surprised how good you end up feeling. I know of one quilter who made a baby quilt for her ex and his new wife when they had a baby, and now she's really happy she did. You can read her story here.

http://www.thatgirlthatquilt.com/201...part-four.html
I know you have gotten tons of responses but ever since I stumbled on the reply linking to my own story, I haven't been able to stop thinking about your situation. It's not that hard to put myself in your shoes and think about if my daughter asked me to help make a quilt for her father. *gulp*

Even though I've done it before for the benefit of my daughter, it would still be incredibly hard. If my daughter was older and that was what she really wanted to do, I would help her. However, if she were old enough, I would explain my difficulties with the task because I think it would be important for her to understand extending grace, forgiveness, etc. Kids never come out of a divorce unscathed so this very well may be a healing process for your daughter too.

I won't lie, much of the process will probably suck but in the end I truly believe that if you approach it with an open heart, you won't regret it. To this day, my own story still reminds me of the forgiveness that I have extended in the past and the same forgiveness that I should continue to extend to others. And really, the forgiveness and healing aren't for him or for his new wife; it's for you and quite possibly your daughter.

Wow! I got really wordy here and didn't really mean to. I'll be thinking of you and your daughter!

Jennifer