Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a Featherweight needing work?

I was wondering if you would buy a Featherweight that was in poor condition? The one i speak of is scratched up, missing some of the gold detail, and the biggest concern is that the belt has almost totally disintegrated and may or may not have gunked up the motor? It powers on and you can see the "thingy" spin but due to the belt's condition is does not move. Is $95 too much?

Blog Entries
    I would probably buy it. Belts can be replaced easily enough, and with a good cleaning it just might turn out to be a great little machine.

buy it you can fix it with the tutorials here. $95 is a great deal! I have seen them for over 450$

Featherweights in poor condition still fetch close to $200 around here. I can't imagine that a belt would be very expensive.

Might be worth the risk, especially if you can take it to someone that repairs/refurbishes Featherweights.....Good Luck!

Blog Entries
    I paid $125 for mine with no guarantee it would ever work, but $65 later she purrs like a champ. Her decals are dim, her case is rough and I just finally got all the odor out this weekend, but I love her and would think yours will be fine too with just a tune up!

I think body condition is the most important...if bad..I'd take a pass..Ck out ebay and see what they go for...tons on there and for a few $ more might get one in better condition

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I would not give more than $50 for it in that condition..it takes a lot of money to get them repaired and made to look good again...is there a case, attachments, etc???

Interestingly to me, body condition is less important, as long as it wasn't battered. Mine has some of the decals missing on the front where it probably got a lot of use. And probably has some good stories to tell if it could. I would think it could be made workable again and $95 is a good price based on what I've seen on ebay and I bought the only one I ever saw in person at a flea market for $150 (he was asking $190). It didn't have a case but did have a bobbin case and I have lots of attachments from vintage singers that fit. My repair guy charged me about $50 to oil, lube, give a once over and fix the bobbin winder gasket. I'm tickled with it..

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I know of one in TX that is MINT for $325, in a case with attachments! I mean MINT..better than some of the refurbished ones I have seen at shows...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast