Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 8 9

Thread: Your honest opinions on batting

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I, too, love wool batting. I like the "puff" it gets after you quilt it and I love how warm the quilt is. The cotton batting doesn't seem to make my quilts warm at all. I've never tried any poly. But I sure do love the wool batting. That's all I use except for wall hangings and table runners. Then I use cotton batting so it lays flat. For me, anyway.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    I have purchased the pellon batting because it was the only black that Joann's had. I'm really glad I was able to use a 50% coupon because the batting is pure junk. It has a weird fuzzy appearance for starters. There were funny gray lines running through it. It was very wrinkled so I put it in a warm dryer for a few minutes to relax it. It filled my dryer lint screen to capacity. Sandwiching the quilt was a lint producing chore. I think I'll donate it to a dog bed making charity.

I only use warm and natural.
    Lynn

I use Warm and Natural on all my quilts. It seems to work better then some of the others I have tired and on small projects I do not have to pin as heavily since it seems to stay in place very well.
    Juliebelle

Blog Entries
    No question, Warm and Natural, if I want thicker batting I just use two pieces bonded together with "505".

My favorite battings are the Hobbs, 80/20, 100% cotton and the wool. I find the Hobbs much easier to hand quilt and I that the quilting shows up much more than with the Warm and Natural. I also love the drape of the quilt when finished. I find the Warm and Natural to be stiff and not as cuddly to wrap up in.

I have used both warm and natural and warm and white and also used Quilters Dream Cotton and liked them a lot, but from reading here, I also want to try the Hobbs 80/20. I had been wanting to try it before but so many love it here that I think it will be my next one to experiment with.

Blog Entries
    Warm and natural and warm and white is my batting of choice. Someone suggested to me to purchase Quilter's Dream batting for table clothes that you want some body for because it has excellent drapability.
    Desiderata (Max Ehrmann) - Walk placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

My favorite is Quilter's Dream Cotton - next would be Warm & Natural. I like them because they are so much easier for me to handle loading on my frame and they quilt up nicely. I tend to have a little trouble with the Hobbs bunching up.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 8 9