Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 14 - March, 2 month group >

Boom 14 - March, 2 month group

Boom 14 - March, 2 month group

Old 03-29-2015, 07:00 PM

My dear Terri.....I so know what you are feeling. Watching my Mother lose life almost daily has been the most difficult thing I have ever faced. When my sister came to visit her in the nursing home it was right after Mom's stroke and my sister hadn't realized how hard that would be to face. Realizing that she most likely would not get better and continue to lose memory and her ability to speak would also worsen - was very sad for our family.

Today...some 4 weeks later, she still doesn't recognize my husband. She often tells me that Willie Nelson had been to visit her earlier or she went to Miami Beach yesterday to visit old friends. I laughingly tell her to let me know the next time she is going on a trip and I will go with her. Acceptance is a beautiful gift from God...but it doesn't come easy and when it comes it is often unwelcome. I am reading a wonderful book now - written by Billy Graham called 'Nearing Home". He published the book in 2012 just prior to his 93rd birthday. He talks about living life as an old man....it is very revealing and healing at the same time.

We are blessed to have the privilege to live life into our 80's and 90's. My mother and I now read to each other. She is participating in social activities now and going to the dining room to eat her meals with 3 other ladies she has become friends with. I bring her home for a visit 2 afternoons each week. She doesn't get out of her wheel chair now and has found her way to acceptance. I spend an hour or more with her everyday. We laugh....we read.....we talk about her memories and sometimes she is still quite able to get her point made.

But all in all, she loves the hugs and kisses...I am so glad that she is close enough to still kiss goodnight.

Praying courage and peace for you and your sister.

Bee

Last edited by Bee Beatty; 03-29-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:24 PM

Billie,

I still remember the wisdom you shared with me when I was at my lowest moment in facing my Mother's life situation the few days after her stroke. The words still comfort me today... "just let her be her and you be you". It helped me let go of the fear and just be present. It is a blessing when the fear begins to evaporate and the love fills that place. I have let go of so much junk that was just cluttering up my thinking.

I pray courage for you and Mr. Bill to let love lead the way!
Old 03-31-2015, 05:05 PM

OK not a boom or a finished ufo/challenge quilt but I really really want to share 2 quilts I made for my in-laws. They are oversized couch quilts. Quite a few months ago my lqs had a couple of kits on sale for 70% off. Now this kit didn't jump into my hands saying you love me buy me. It was more of a I like the colors and for $30 for fabric for a twin size quilt sure I'll take both of them. Brought them home and tossed them in the closet with the rest of the stash. Fast forward to the March and all 8of my quilts are bound and while I. Have a few other flimsies I could (read should) work on I really wanted to get the quilts for the in-laws done but what to do what to do. While browsing my fabric (read mess) I found the kits oh my gosh that's perfect for a masculine quilt and the colors work in their house. So the first one I just got back from the LA it is the kit exactly. I didn't want two exactly the same so skimming my emails I saw msq had just uploaded a new tutorial sunburst dresden..... Holy crap it's a perfect complement to the first quilt so I used that other kit and made it for my mil. Not going to lie I kind of love it. Just took it in to be quilted today. Unfortunately she is very busy and since I'm having this one custom done I won't get it back till late may. . I present to you Life in the fast lane and starburst dresden (I need a better name for that one)
Attached Thumbnails 2015-03-31-17.38.51.jpg   2015-03-31-17.39.26.jpg  
Old 03-31-2015, 06:50 PM

Billi both quilts are wonderful.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:11 AM

Gorgeous quilts!! But, that sunburst dresden one is something special! Talk about lucky in-laws!
Old 04-01-2015, 04:53 AM

Love the quilts and perfect size. And perfect price!!
Old 04-01-2015, 07:49 AM

Billi,

Those are both awesome. Which shop did you find them at? Was it during the moving sale?

I very rarely buy kits though.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:26 AM

Thanks ladies I'm happy with them.

Lisa it was cozy way before the moving sale this is the only kit I ever bought and it was the price that sold me. . Amazingly it ended up working out great.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:47 AM

Billi what beautiful quilts!! I esp love the sunburst one. Was that the kit? Ive never made a quilt from a kit but I also don't like to do the hand work on a Dresden but if it was a kit I might do one! I just got an email from my quilter that my two friendship panels I made into quilts for my two best friends are done and will be here tomorrow..yeah!!
Started on a Disappearing Hour Glass #2 last night, making a memory quilt out of a friends husbands shirts but other than that Im just waiting on the Boom blocks to get here AND the MAIN Question for Janice...when is the NEXT Boom gonna start! LOL
Old 04-01-2015, 10:31 AM

Joan the top one fast lane was the kit

The dresden is from a jenny doan tutorial dresden sunburst and it's all machine done. It's on you tube check it out she really simplifies it. Of course I made a few design changes due to quantities of fabrics but it worked out. .