Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: how do you keep your block layout straight

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    I snap a picture with my phone and print it out to put under the clear extention table of my machine. I also use pins to keep each row in order.
    This is what I do. I also do this when I'm chosing fabric combinations for a quilt. You know what they say "a picture is worth a thousand words" of course when you are quilting and then have to use the seam ripper because you put it together wrong the picture would save you a thousand words that can't be said in public or at least shouldn't be said in public.
    Judy

Using my cell phone camera and lots of labels works for me, too. It is so frustrating to get them out of order.

I have a small sewing area and small house without a wall for even a wall to hang a design wall. I lay out a flannel sheet on a table then lay out the blocks. Since I rarely have time to finish the assembly I have taken pictures which I really like. Then I fold up the sheet over the blocks carefully. I can unfold as I am ready to work on the top.

I do both suggestions, pinning to keep in order and marking with sticky notes.

I like your flannel sheet idea, Newby. If you fold carefully or roll it up you could unfold a row at a time as you sew.

Quote Originally Posted by Newby0709 View Post
    I have a small sewing area and small house without a wall for even a wall to hang a design wall. I lay out a flannel sheet on a table then lay out the blocks. Since I rarely have time to finish the assembly I have taken pictures which I really like. Then I fold up the sheet over the blocks carefully. I can unfold as I am ready to work on the top.
    This also works with a flannel backed tablecloth. I also take a picture just in case blocks/pieces get mixed up.
    Peace is one of His greatest gifts.

I use a design wall.

Blog Entries
    I have wooden clothes pins. I mark each one by row and number,apply to the blocks in order,then it's easier to keep them where they should go. I'm famous for sewing stuff upside down and backwards...repeatedly!
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

I use the small yard sale type stickers with the A, b, c, going down and numbers going a cross. A-1, A-2 etc. I also take pictures a a rearrange them and finally after I settle on the final layout.

No need for fancy pins - if you have flower head pins you can write on the "flower" part with a sharpie

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast