Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Looking for advice on organizing/packing up a sewing room before showing house >

Looking for advice on organizing/packing up a sewing room before showing house

Looking for advice on organizing/packing up a sewing room before showing house

Old 01-11-2015, 02:22 PM

We are getting a storage unit in midMarch. It's right down the road but I imagine it won't be easy to retrieve things from it once it's packed. I just have to remind myself this is just for now and later I'll have loads of time to be creative. Fortunately, we won't be house looking and buying on top of everything else.
I am feeling a little anxious but as Mom used to say, "this too shall pass."
Old 01-11-2015, 02:28 PM

I moved across the country in 2012. When our realtor saw my sewing loft he suggested packing some things up to make it more spacious. It wasn't that bad to begin with, but I packed & rearranged. It was hard to tweak my space so it was almost unusable, but a good move. It was so hectic showing the house & preparing to move that I really didn't have time for quilting projects anyway. It still looked like a nice "craft & sewing" area & we did sell our home!
Old 01-11-2015, 02:45 PM

Make sure your fabric is well protected while it is in a storage unit. It's pretty easy for mice to get into them and the fabric would be very comfy for them. Heavy plastic storage bins are a good idea.

We lost some beautiful doilies that my Aunt crocheted to mice in storage. They weren't big or important, but the memories of my wonderful Aunt that they represented were!
Old 01-11-2015, 04:22 PM

I would pick the items for a few projects that would be able to be completed in a reasonable amount of time that you have, and pack up the rest. Keep in mind that you will have lots of other activites that will need to be attended while selling your home, and lots of other packing, so quilting time will be much less.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:35 PM

I'm going to get some rubbermaid totes this week that had great reviews. I would be heartbroken to have mice get into the fabric and yarn. Great advice. With any luck, this will be our last cold January. Sure don't want to jeopardize that by my own reluctance. Thanks again, everyone!
Old 01-11-2015, 09:13 PM

As a quilter, hobby person, and a past packer for an international moving company, I would suggest you scale down in every room and pack it up. Take the items that are personal like family pictures, jewelry, and things that are of real value to you and pack it carefully. The heavier the item, the smaller the box. I have lots of books, first editions and author signed which I cherish and of course, I would pack everything myself. I have quilting magazines and I want them all. I have read them cover to cover and a lot of the patterns are being used in the new quilts of today. If you know who is going to move you, contact them and ask for boxes. Put books straight up like you do on a shelf. Lay magazines flat, or if the magazine sets upright in the box, pack them that way. They will be heavy. I would not use big boxes for fabric, I would go with the smaller book box, especially if you are going to unpack them, they would be heavy for you. Book boxes are shorter then the large plastic storage bins but about the same at the bottom but square. Keep a box open in all the closets for "the end". I think I would use sheets or something similar to put your fabric in. Open the sheet and try to line the sides to protect your fabric. If you used plastic, and it sets outside in the sun or in a heated container, it may sweat. If you plan to go ahead and pack, I would pack everything you do not need until after the move. Mark each box on the front of the box and on the top. Mark which room it came from and what is in the box. If you like, mark numbers on the box and write them down on an inventory list so you have a record of what you packed. That way, if you need to open a box, you know which box to open. Like, sewing room, batting and pillow forms, box #1. Box #2 is threads, gadgets, and fat quarters. If you have Ott lights, you could squeeze them in with the batting so they will be protected. If you have any questions on how to pack something, just send me a private message. I loved that packing job, I learned so much about the good paintings, the best antiques, to good wine, as well as meeting wonderful people. I would strip the house of small items, and then pack the lady's clothes and personal items (because they didn't want the men to touch them) and then the dining room and kitchen. If the family was coming into the U.S. from overseas, I would unpack and put everything in the cupboards and closets in about 4 hrs. I would ask the Mrs. where she wanted them, and in a short time, they were all in place. Best of luck, I wish I was there to help you.

Last edited by ragamuffin; 01-11-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
I hope my realtor is as understanding about hobby rooms. We will wait and see!
Thanks again! If anyone thinks of anything else, please do chime in!
You are hiring a realtor to sell your house so you can tell him/her(not ask) what will be or not be. My sewing room was crowded and messy when he first saw my room and he did ask "you're able to work in here" lol. But I did neaten as much as I could and the room and left it and it was not an issue with buyers, so I agree with judythesewer when she stated: "So, if you have a dedicated hobby room I wouldn't worry too much about clutter. If the rest of your house is "show ready" then a lived in hobby room should be fine."

Good luck on your move.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by lildinks2013 View Post
To make a house more appealing is to make it look as roomy as possible. If it were me, I'd bite the bullet and pack everything neatly in marked boxes and put into storage. Remove any clutter and make it very bright and roomy for a better sale. Maybe keep some hand work aside like your knitting and keep in a tidy spot. Good luck on selling your home. Something I wish I could do. Downsizing has been on my mind but with Dh being a fly fisherman who makes his own flys etc., it is out of the question for now.
Oh, how I can relate. Fly fishing is worse than fabric collecting and I have an enormous stash. DH has a 6 X 6 closet designed just for tieing flys but you should see the dining room table. It hasn't seen food in 9 months. I, too, would pack up all my stash and store until after the sale. The upside is already having it packed when you move.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:59 AM

I'm of the camp of packing up as much as possible but also make up a couple of 'kits' for yourself along the way. Both machine and hand work. Keep your machine out. In the packing process, if you can, figure out which items you're going to have in your respective north and south homes and label appropriately. Even if you're going to move your fabric within your current house, possibly sort those internal destinations to their ultimate north or south locations. Will make your end packing easier. And I agree with keeping a box in each room for the 'last used/first opened' things.

Good luck with selling your home and upcoming retirement.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:16 AM

I am glad that I seen this post. My husband and I are starting to purge for a move, after 37 years in our house. We hope to have it on the market by the end of April or first of May. I cannot think of what to start on in my quilting rooms. I have a long arm and also several sewing machines. I like the idea of keeping some hand work to work on when I need a stress break from packing the purging. Good luck to you too.