Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
This is how I spent my snow day; how did you spend yours? >

This is how I spent my snow day; how did you spend yours?

This is how I spent my snow day; how did you spend yours?

Old 01-10-2011, 02:01 PM

I spent my snow day making fleece blankets with appliques and finishing up a quilt for a missionary at church.

For those of you who asked for details with the pictures, I trimmed the fleece evenly and did the corners by cutting around a stainless steel bowl. Then I just used scraps to make a variety of appliqued shapes ... heavy on the hearts because I had a new Kaye Wood View and Do shape to try out. The edges were turned under 3/8" (the width of my presser foot) with no measuring or pinning and sewn in most cases with a blanket stitch and thread as close to the right color as I had.

The green ones are for a baby and I bound one with Winnie the Pooh fabric and appliqued the other with different hearts ... fussy cut.

The dark pink one is a quillow. Opens up into a blanket or folds into a pillow.

The church quilt is all scraps and meant to be Tuscan colors. The missionaries are usually, but not always men and the church gives a quilt to each missionary that comes to the mission conference in early February.

I washed all of them so that there would be no harmful residue for children or babies and so that the church quilt would look more old-timey.

Quilt for missionary
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157407[/ATTACH]

Blanket for a baby
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157408[/ATTACH]

More children's fleece blankets
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157409[/ATTACH]

Quillow is dark pink blanket with lt green pocket and name
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157410[/ATTACH]

last fleece blanket
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157413[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-157402.jpe   attachment-157403.jpe   attachment-157404.jpe   attachment-157405.jpe   attachment-157408.jpe  

Old 01-10-2011, 02:02 PM

Beautiful work!!
Old 01-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for sharing, great projects
Old 01-10-2011, 02:03 PM

WARM and GOOD!
Old 01-10-2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by purrfectquilts
I spent my snow day making fleece blankets with appliques and finishing up a quilt for a missionary at church.

For those of you who asked for details with the pictures, I trimmed the fleece evenly and did the corners by cutting around a stainless steel bowl. Then I just used scraps to make a variety of appliqued shapes ... heavy on the hearts because I had a new Kaye Wood View and Do shape to try out. The edges were turned under 3/8" (the width of my presser foot) with no measuring or pinning and sewn in most cases with a blanket stitch and thread as close to the right color as I had.

The green ones are for a baby and I bound one with Winnie the Pooh fabric and appliqued the other with different hearts ... fussy cut.

The dark pink one is a quillow. Opens up into a blanket or folds into a pillow.

The church quilt is all scraps and meant to be Tuscan colors. The missionaries are usually, but not always men and the church gives a quilt to each missionary that comes to the mission conference in early February.

I washed all of them so that there would be no harmful residue for children or babies and so that the church quilt would look more old-timey.
I love them all. Just a hint for next time; no insults intended, but you don't have to turn the hem as fleece won't fray. You can just do a fancy stitch or zig zag in a little from the edge. I do mine on the serger, but if you don't have a serger, you can just do a stitch to fancy up the edge. It saves some angst and time. I do the curved corners too, so much easier than trying to make a crisp corner.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:30 PM

Thanks. Sometimes I don't turn the edge. But, I have discovered children pull on the blankets, stretching the edge enough to pop the stitches, even when I use a forgiving zig zag type stitch. The other reason I turned these was to give a more pleasant feel to the edge. Don't ask me what that means... I am repeating what my grandchildren call it. They like the edges turned.

I love fleece to make their names because it doesn't ravel and it is easy to cut letters.

No serger but do have a lot of stitches on my machine that are similar ... just takes longer. Some of these were for January birthdays for grandchildren, some just to give away ... using up the fleece stash.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:38 PM

I went out to lunch and then came home and cut apart some blocks for a strip quilt. I'm still working with Christmas fabric. lol
Old 01-10-2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by purrfectquilts
Thanks. Sometimes I don't turn the edge. But, I have discovered children pull on the blankets, stretching the edge enough to pop the stitches, even when I use a forgiving zig zag type stitch. The other reason I turned these was to give a more pleasant feel to the edge. Don't ask me what that means... I am repeating what my grandchildren call it. They like the edges turned.

I love fleece to make their names because it doesn't ravel and it is easy to cut letters.

No serger but do have a lot of stitches on my machine that are similar ... just takes longer. Some of these were for January birthdays for grandchildren, some just to give away ... using up the fleece stash.
Oh, I understand what you mean. It gives some weight to the edge, helps it to hang better, in sewing terms. I have found my serger has paid for itself many times over for all the fleece blankets I have made. I have 2 dogs that sleep on my bed, a great dane & a rottweiler so they dirty blankets up pretty fast. So I buy 5 yards of fleece when it is on sale, put about 18" of width on each side to make a nice overhang. I serge the two seams, then serge around the edges and I have great blankets that wash and dry beautifully and are warm at night. I love fleece. You can do so much to decorate it. I have made many for my gkids too with embroidery on one corner in their favorite design. Have fun!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Cyn

Wow you got so much done! Very pretty stuff too!
Old 01-10-2011, 02:48 PM

Great work! You are quick and have good ideas.