2016 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-11-2016, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Here's the link from her catalog...doesn't show the bins in the pictures though...will share pics later..also work today. So gotta hustle and get ready...

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...quares+book.do
Old 01-11-2016, 06:27 AM

I do need to do this and I will try.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:31 AM

I like the Bailey mid-arm given the fact it was within my budget, but I'm wondering if I should have saved up another year and gotten a true mid-arm. My main beef with the Bailey is the housing is low enough that I have trouble seeing what I'm stitching. The true mid-arms are taller and therefore are easier to see. But for the price, the Bailey really can't be beat.

I decided not to quilt the sheets I'm using for the curtains as I think they will be too heavy for the clips I'm using. I'll take a pic when I finish and post it in this thread.

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
Hm, this is a difficult one to reply. If I say "Hope you get well soon" then I am an enabler. If I say "Good for you" then I sound insensitive. Sigh! Let's see.....how about "I hope the temptation returns and you keep it in check."
Thanks for the wonderful belly laugh this morning! I needed that. No, I don't even want the temptation to return. This kind of sickness I can live with as I know it will eventually pass and I'll be craving fabric again.

Last edited by Belfrybat; 01-11-2016 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:18 AM

oksewglad: Thank you for the link.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:21 AM
Swap Hosts

This weekend I did something I have never, not ever done in my life. I returned fabric. *GASP*!!!
Long story short - misinformation was passed on leading someone (my daughter in law's mother) to believe I was going to make her a quilt. Well, I wasn't. I did, however, have one in the machine that was going to be donated and she liked it, but I thought OK, in for a penny, in for a pound. I decided to buy fabrics in her favorite colors. Indonesian batiks, no less. Then she saw the donation quilt and loved it. Didn't need the fabric, although I loved it, so I RETURNED IT! My husband was stunned. "Keep it if you like it," he said. "Nope. I'm on a fabric fast." Felt good. $200 back in my pocket. But I'm still thinking about those luscious prints ...
Old 01-11-2016, 09:37 AM

Krystyna -- I didn't know you could return fabric. Not that I have ever needed to, but good to know.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:57 AM
Banned

From what I have seen in my area, not all places will accept
fabric returns (LQS mainly), BUT I know some of the big box
chain stores will as long as it has not been washed or cut, and
is still in the same condition that it was sold in.

Just don't know how it works in other parts of the country though.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pyffer3 View Post
Wow madquilter! I really like that pattern. What is that?
I learned this on a craftsy class and it is relatively easy. You do have to deal with bias edges which are not too much fun BUT you do avoid the Y-seam. Here is how I did it:
Requirements: 1 (40 count) Jelly Roll and <2 yds of a coordinating fabric for the background triangles and border.
1. Sort jelly roll into darks and lights and put one dark strip with one light strip.
2. Sew these 2 contrasting jelly roll strips together. (I pressed the seams open)
3. Cut 60-degree triangles – flipping the ruler to use the entire length of the jelly roll. You will get enough for TWO hexagons and 4 pieces for the end.
4. Sort the triangles into two sets of 6 where all the fabrics are aligned in the same position. (Dark on the bottom for one set and light on the bottom for the other.)
5. Align the triangles so they form the whirligig and sew two sets of 3. (I pressed the seams open) IMPORTANT: DO NOT SEW THE TWO HALVES TOGETHER
6. Cut 4 1/2 inch strips from the background fabric (I needed 7) and subcut these into triangles. (92 or 94 required, can’t remember exactly.) Make sure to note where the straight edge is to keep manipulating the bias to a minimum.
7. Lay out your hexies for a pleasing pattern and notice that there is a gap at the ends of the shorter rows. That hole gets filled by sewing 2 of the leftover pieces together. (You’ll have to match up the color how you like them. Notice that I alternated the same colors)
8. Fill in the holes with the 2-piece halves.
9. On the long rows, sew a triangle to the end of each half-hexi. Then sew the hexies together. Make sure to watch the order. Repeat for the bottom half.
10. Sew the halves together into a full row. I did a lot of pinning to make sure the points met.
11. The short rows also have triangles sewn to the hexies but those rows start with a half-hexi
12. Sew the rows together.
13. Trim the sides leaving 1/4 inch.
14. Add border (or borders as desired)
I had to rip a bit because I kept sewing the hexies on the bottom half in the wrong order.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:32 AM

Belfry
A couple dozen charity quilts by winter? Do you ever sleep or eat?

I have though about doing some charity lap quilts but I read things that said has to be so and so and this and that. I kind of gave up on that. Do they have to be all the same size.? Common sense to be useful must be big enough. I am not saying anything here in town. They have a 25 bed nursing home here at the hospital and the assistant living place across from it.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:35 PM

call them and ask what they need.

I have that little brochure that give measurements in the back. i love a 60x90 for single beds. And the 48x48 is great for a lap quilt. That's what I try for at my charity group. We do a lot that are 32x42 because it fits our batting very nicely, I think they go as baby quilts.