Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
International Patriotic Challenge >

International Patriotic Challenge

International Patriotic Challenge

Old 06-30-2012, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jenniky View Post
Afternoon ladies,

Yes yes, I have been busy. My friend is feeling somewhat better and she had her husband home for the weekend. So I chained myself back to my sewing machine to practice FMQ. I took QuiltE's suggestion and instead of making practice squares I made a small project.. like potholders and such. I have been trying to think of something useful to make for another dear friend. She likes black and white...why does everyone like black and white...LOL Just once I would like to ask someone what there favorite colors are and they not turn out to be black, white. Alright Im over myself..haha.

Anyway I am making a quilted cover for her new sewing machine. Today was the big day. Last night I chalked the pattern and started in fresh this morning. So Im sharing my pictures with you of my first attempt at FMQ with a pattern. Don't be gentle be honest. IM a Cowgirl I can take it

SES - Great Placemats. I look forward to seeing your Patriotic set also.
Nursie - I love your sweet liberty quilt top. I recognize all the blocks except the bottom. Is the bottom row a version of the bear claw??

[ATTACH=CONFIG]345684[/ATTACH]
Jenniky:
I have to laugh since my first thought was 'oh, I love black/white with yellow. However, if you were to ask me what my favorite colors were, I would tell you 'hot pink', colbalt blue (as in delft blue flow china). But, then there a million other colors I love tooooooo

You are doing great on FMQ. I seem to do fine on waving circle one way and then reverse the circle after then and so on. I am going to try your chalk idea next time and see if that helps. I find I get lost and don't seem to have a sense of direction.

QuiltE: just a note, your thread will appear just after you get your Monte done! Thread just works that way.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:26 PM

SewExtremeSeams - Love those placemats. Your friend must have been thrilled. Looking forward to seeing the patriotic set.

nursie76 - Nicely done. So glad we could encourage you to finish up and old project.

Jenniky - Wow. You sure take to new ideas/concepts/methods quickly. Nicely done.

QuiltE - Yippee for Monty. Great find at the garage sale.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:58 PM

SES - EEK! Hot pink my other Nemesis. LOL I so have to finish my GD Hot Pink Quilt before the end of September. <Shivers> LOL
W4Me - Thank you for the compliment. I have been blessed with a bit of common sense and also a lil crafty talent. I blame it on my Dad now resting in heaven. He was a General Contractor and built and remodeled houses. I think of Quilting as like Building a House. I will leave the comparison to your imagination.. LOL but yes I like to build things, put them together and I have always been encouraged to try new things before I decide they are too hard for me. I have had a very adventurous life and now that Im having to slow down physically.. Quilting has been a wonderful outlet for my adventuring.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:45 PM
Power Poster

What a nice story JenniKy ... memories of your Dad as you do your sewing. Not many attribute their quilting success to their Dad, nor to house building! Though you will now have us wondering about your adventurous life!

You made me think of one of the LQS' that I will visit this next month during the Shop Hop is run by a former Mining Engineer, who was ready for a change of pace ... quite a change! She does incredible work, and has a LOT to see when you visit her store. Interesting too, it's in an old train station! She has Mini Quilt patterns in her store, designed by another Engineer friend ... she can't take her quilting with her when she's on the road, so instead designs these patterns. I was intrigued by the patterns during last years's Hop, and now that I've dabbled in minis a little, I'll be purchasing at least one this time round. Coincidentally I met the Mini Quilt Engineer that we both attended last month. Small world!

Before the sunset tonight, I took a picture of the sewing chest. The drawers are high enough that I can stand my Aurifil thread in on end. So that'll let it store one huge thread stash! Yipppeeeee!!1 I should have shot down at it, to show you the inside. Maybe tomorrow?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]345757[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails intlpatriotic-006.jpg  
Old 07-01-2012, 07:37 AM

Just poppin' in to wish all my northern neighbors a very
Happy Canada Day!!
Old 07-01-2012, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Just poppin' in to wish all my northern neighbors a very
Happy Canada Day!!

Bless you,
Ghostie!, and THANK YOU for your well wishes.

I'm about to go and sit with Monty, and hopefully he can debut today ..... or for tomorrow's stat holiday!

Old 07-01-2012, 10:22 AM

HAPpy cANaDA DAy. oK MY Computer is really being wierd.. there now its fixed. I think my Laptop was Lapping up some whiskey. LOL QuiltE that is a beautiful piece of furniture. Your Thread Collection will be very Happy Camping out in it.
I look forward to seeing Monty this evening..have a great day.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Muv

Good Evening Ladies, especially to all the Canadian Gals, and Happy Canada Day! I will raise a glass to your health, so consider me with you in spirit! It might have to be a cherry liqueur...

Nursie - love the quilt top! Can we persuade you to get it quilted soon so you can put it away and hide it? That way you can bring it out next year for July 4th, by which time you will have forgotten all the hard work you have put into it and it will be a present from you to you.

Jenniky - you are a complete star! Not only have you put together a wonderful colour combination, but getting that quilting right first time... you deserve extra cake on Wednesday. Feel free to cut a slice for me and eat it on my behalf.

QuiltE - very smart cabinet. Much more stylish than all the old chocolate tins I keep my threads in.
Also, I'm sorry to have to remind you that this is a respectable website, I'm middle aged, married, of a nervous disposition, and the thought of Monty in his pants has been just a little too much for me. Please make sure he has his trousers on before you post the next picture. It is Canada Day, after all.

In fact, I think I need that cherry liqueur now rather than later...
Old 07-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

Hey there Muv!!!! ... I think we just hit another Canadian/Brit difference as Pants = Trousers! Not to worry, a very respectable Mountie he is as my earlier post said he had his pants (=trousers) and boots on. Now fully clothed with his red serge finished.

Am now working on the stippled background ..... thread keeps shredding, so I have to stop and join in. I know the problem ... thin thread and inexperienced operator who is putting too much tension on it as she moves it about. At least, thats that's my diagnosis ... unless someone else has a suggestion as to the reason?

Aside from that, I am quite pleased with the look of it all. Though I can't say I particularly enjoy stopping to wind in all those ends.

Sorry,
JenniKy ... with this slowdown, I'm thinking he won't make it for today's celebrations.

I've just watched the Canada Day Festivities on Parliament Hill ... interesting how they wove in the War of 1812 history, along with current day events, and music. Apparently, we are going to be seeing/hearing a lot of our history for the next 5 years, as we build towards the 150th Anniversary ... I'm sure that'll be one big year of events! I know, mere children compared to you Brits and Americans!

BTW
Muv ... good choice on the cherry liqueur ... maybe you can get your pub mates to toast with you tonight!!! aaahhh yes ... anything for a celebration in the local Brit Pub! I can only imagine the excuses during the Olympics!
Old 07-01-2012, 11:22 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...a-t193275.html

Here is Monty's Mount. Now all I have to do is put them together. Muv - LOL so are pants = undergarments in England? Oops was I suppose to wait ... I already started eating the cake yesterday. DH made an awesome carrot cake. It's my favorite. I will eat two extra pieces in your honor.