Newbies challenge

Old 01-15-2011, 08:33 AM

Just noticed your post. I could really use some help with the quilt I'm TRYING to make. Have no idea what I'm doing!!! But I have all this material I purchased and I'm doing the best I can! Do you want to "adopt" me? Grammy Carol
Old 01-15-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Grammy Carol
I am a newbie and I'm trying to make a quilt for my newborn graddaughter. I don't have much experience and the material and pattern my daughter picked out is hard to work with. Is there someone out that could take me under their wing and help me get this done? She keeps asking me when the quilt will be done, I don't have the heart to tell her I'm having problems! I live in Port Saint Lucie, Fl Thank You Grammy Carol
what is the pattern and what kind of material are you using?
Old 01-15-2011, 09:44 AM

Not sure what the pattern is... it is called Comfy Corners Play Quilt.Basically large squares w/a border all around. Also has a 2 1/2 inch border
Old 01-15-2011, 09:45 AM

The material is very fuffy with a thick pile.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Grammy Carol
The material is very fuffy with a thick pile.
I would assume you are having problems with the fabric sliding all around when you are sewing it together. I would try using elmers school glue on the sides that you will be sewing, let it dry then sew. The glue will come out in the wash and it will help better than pinning.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:34 PM

Hello, I am new to quilting and have many questions when I start on another quilt. Have done throws and that is it, so far. But the hand quilting I am not doing well on. So I would love to be adopted!!

Eisgoow
Old 01-15-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Alex J
Thanks for sharing the e-address. I just took a looked, do you have all the DVD/CD's?
which ones do you have? all of them?
Hate to be snoopy, but what DVD/CDs are we asking about? And who?
Old 01-15-2011, 08:25 PM
psr

Hello, I am a newby and just finished my first quilt with a lot of mistakes and just found this blog a few nights back. I had to add some extra material to 4 rows of blocks to make everything come out even. I realize that I need to mark my pattern more carefully and sew more evenly. I really need a 'mom' to help me. I have to make another quilt for my daughter now and I have lots of questions :-)
Thanks
[email protected]
Pam
Old 01-16-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by psr
Hello, I am a newby and just finished my first quilt with a lot of mistakes and just found this blog a few nights back. I had to add some extra material to 4 rows of blocks to make everything come out even. I realize that I need to mark my pattern more carefully and sew more evenly. I really need a 'mom' to help me. I have to make another quilt for my daughter now and I have lots of questions :-)
Thanks
[email protected]
Pam
I can help you with some things, I am self taught and have made 30 plus quilts. I do some applique and a lot of piece quilting, I usually design my own from pictures that inspire me and I do all my own quilting, I have never used a long-armer, just PM me---kim
Old 01-16-2011, 09:56 AM

This is a great idea being adopted. I think I would like to be adopted. I have been sewing for 30+ years and always run across something I don't have a clue about. I relocated to AZ from NC and have a lot of free time on my hands. I took a quilting 102 class which was a small sampler quilt and learned a lot. I have since made 3 more small baby quilts, a twin, a full and have completed some tops/piecework someone found in their attic. I haven't done much of any patterns that require triangle/diagonals. I am branching out more with each project I do.
I have collected about 7 prints that I would like to make a quilt from and not sure where to go from here. I haven't really found anything i like yet. I am still trying to get better with the color/pattern choices. I did sign up for BOM this year at a local quilter's store. It starts next week.
I have a basic sewing machine, Janome AQS. I have sent my bed size quilts to a LAQ for stitching. So far that works for me : ) So if you think u have a little time to mentor me that would be wonderful.