Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Butterscotch pie recipe? >

Butterscotch pie recipe?

Butterscotch pie recipe?

Old 03-17-2016, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

this all sounds just to Delicious to me. I will have to try this one day when my blood sugar is low. I am diabetic but i won't let that stop me from eating this pie!
Old 03-17-2016, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
this all sounds just to Delicious to me. I will have to try this one day when my blood sugar is low. I am diabetic but i won't let that stop me from eating this pie!
You got me curious and I started researching online... found Pure Leaf Stevia can be used to make a good chocolate pie, and one place suggested using a little molasses with Pure Leaf Stevia for butterscotch. I'm not diabetic but sure learned a lot about sugar substitutes. From what I learned in the last couple hours, all the artificial sweeteners are bad for you- surprise, surprise (not)... but it seems that Pure Leaf Stevia is not only safe but actually good for you. Isn't it interesting how one topic can lead to another. I guess it caught my eye because I don't usually eat much sugar but its been a different story this week with all the recipes here that I have been taste testing and feeling guilty about!
Old 03-22-2016, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
I like meringue topping so I'm wondering if I should add 3 egg yolks since I will be saving the whites.
Yes, you can use 3 egg yolks and save the whites for meringue. My Mom's old recipe card (her first Mother-in-law taught her how to cook) had a meringue top. We always preferred whipped cream on top so my mom would use 2 whole eggs. And the change to cornstarch is mine as I have better luck thickening with cornstarch, plus my son is gluten free, so I do this and use gluten free pie crust so he can eat it.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Skyangel View Post
Yes, you can use 3 egg yolks and save the whites for meringue. My Mom's old recipe card (her first Mother-in-law taught her how to cook) had a meringue top. We always preferred whipped cream on top so my mom would use 2 whole eggs. And the change to cornstarch is mine as I have better luck thickening with cornstarch, plus my son is gluten free, so I do this and use gluten free pie crust so he can eat it.
I researched flour vs. cornstarch and here is what I learned. Cornstarch is a pure thickening agent while Flour has more additional ingredients so it takes less cornstarch than flour. Cornstarch thickens at a lower temp. than flour, so thickens faster and should not be overcooked once it has thickened. Flour is recommended to thicken anything that will be frozen like fruit pies because it takes longer to break down and using cornstarch for frozen pies can cause them to get runny when thawed. I knew cornstarch takes less and thickens faster, but I did not know about the overcooking or freezing. I tried your recipe and it was delicious but seemed too thick or too jelled. I thought it was due to using the extra egg yolk, but now I think if I cut the cornstarch in half or use flour it should make it better. Its very tasty and I ate the whole little pie in just a couple days!. (hanging my head in shame.) So I haven't tried any more since-no self control when it comes to pies- but think I will try it this way next week. (I'll make one for my birthday instead of a cake!) Thanks again for the recipe and update. Jan
Old 03-27-2016, 10:15 AM

Using flour to thicken... Must be cooked about 5 minutes to cook the starch. Seems to stabilize it so that it doesn't separate. Pie fillings thickened with cornstarch should be eaten in 24 hour or they separate.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:17 AM

Also noted that no recipes mentioned cooking the butter and brown sugar together... I was always told this made it butterscotch. Cook the butter and brown sugar together till light and bubbly at lower temp so it doesn't burn. Makes nice scotchy flavor. If I can get the recipe to copy I'll post the recipe I use.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:14 PM

Unfortunately I do not have my mother's recipes so I am trying to find out if my sister kept them and if so, can she find the recipe. Will let you know.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
I researched flour vs. cornstarch and here is what I learned. Cornstarch is a pure thickening agent while Flour has more additional ingredients so it takes less cornstarch than flour. Cornstarch thickens at a lower temp. than flour, so thickens faster and should not be overcooked once it has thickened. Flour is recommended to thicken anything that will be frozen like fruit pies because it takes longer to break down and using cornstarch for frozen pies can cause them to get runny when thawed. I knew cornstarch takes less and thickens faster, but I did not know about the overcooking or freezing. I tried your recipe and it was delicious but seemed too thick or too jelled. I thought it was due to using the extra egg yolk, but now I think if I cut the cornstarch in half or use flour it should make it better. Its very tasty and I ate the whole little pie in just a couple days!. (hanging my head in shame.) So I haven't tried any more since-no self control when it comes to pies- but think I will try it this way next week. (I'll make one for my birthday instead of a cake!) Thanks again for the recipe and update. Jan
I like using a combo of cornstarch & flour. I always think something is missing in a cornstarch only cream pie, but a tblsp of flour balances it & doesn't make it too thick.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by SuzzyQ View Post
Also noted that no recipes mentioned cooking the butter and brown sugar together... I was always told this made it butterscotch. Cook the butter and brown sugar together till light and bubbly at lower temp so it doesn't burn. Makes nice scotchy flavor. If I can get the recipe to copy I'll post the recipe I use.
I'm glad someone finally mentioned this. I wouldn't make a butterscotch pie any other way because I like a rich flavor. I also like walnuts or pecans in mine.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
I'm glad someone finally mentioned this. I wouldn't make a butterscotch pie any other way because I like a rich flavor. I also like walnuts or pecans in mine.
I remember Mom added the butter last, but your method sounds great.
Never heard of adding nuts to Butterscotch pie. I love pecans, but don't like pecan pie because of the filling. This might be the best of both worlds. Would love to try it. Would you please share your recipe here? Thanks. Jan

Last edited by Just Jan; 04-11-2016 at 03:26 AM.