Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Freezer Meals?

Freezer Meals?

I need suggestion for things to cook that can be frozen and reheated easily. i have never really done meal freezing before. If you have any favorites that freeze well let me know.

I freeze almost everything. There really are only a few things that don't freeze well: starchy foods like potatoes, rice and pasta get mushy after they've been frozen, so don't freeze that sort of thing. Cheese sauces separate and get kind of grainy when reheated. Lettuces and other leafy greens don't do well, either.

Some good examples of recipes that freeze really well are spaghetti sauce (without the noodles of course), chili, soups and stews, stroganoff etc. I have loads of freezer recipes if you're interested in something specific, but really you can freeze almost anything as long as it doesn't fall into one of the above categories.

Quote Originally Posted by tezell0801 View Post
    I need suggestion for things to cook that can be frozen and reheated easily. i have never really done meal freezing before. If you have any favorites that freeze well let me know.

Go on Pintrest.......just type freezer meals in the search box. The have tons. I keep trying to talk myself into taking the time to make a bunch!

Blog Entries
    I made lasagna a couple days ago. We ate it for 2 days and then I froze what was left (in tin foil in individual servings) Works great.

Blog Entries
    meatloaf make three and freeze two

When ever I make stews, soups and the like, I always make big pots of it so that I can put a couple of portions in the freezer. For those times I travel my husband has meals he can pop in micro, also for times when I don't feel like cooking.

This is a recipe I plan to try this weekend. I found it by googling "casseroles to freeze recipes" and there were lots more on the same site. In general, I find the Eating Well recipes to be good.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/ch...casserole.html
    Pat

Now that I am a widow, I still cook as if for 4 people. I eat one and freeze 3. Therefore I always have beef stew, swiss steak, meatloaf, mac/cheese, pasta casseroles, soups, sliced turkey, etc. ready to heat and only have to cook about once a week to keep a variety of healthy foods in the freezer. As long as the dish does not contain cream it freezes well.

Blog Entries
    I always make a large lasagne when my eldest GS visits from interstate. If there is any left I cut it into serving size portions and freeze. Make a salad to go with it and you have a meal. Great.

If any of you have a fancy phone, there are some wonderful apps for cooking. I only do the free ones.
    Big Oven is my favorite.
    Recipes is the other one I use.
    Renea

A quilting I will go......

www.somethinginthemaking.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast