Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
How to get rid of bitter taste? >

How to get rid of bitter taste?

How to get rid of bitter taste?

Old 01-11-2015, 03:30 PM

Maybe your packets were OLD when you bought them. I have bought old coffee and took it back.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Scuddles View Post
Once in a while when I make my spaghetti sauce, it has a bitterness to it and I just add a teaspoon of granulated sugar.
It works out great.
For that I put a pinch of baking soda in the sauce as it cooks...it will bubble up and the acidity is cut.......
Old 01-12-2015, 07:53 AM

I got a Keurig model 300 for Christmas. I've tried different regular coffees and also flavored. They all make a bitter cup of coffee. I bought a basket at Walmart for about 5 or 6 dollars. You can use your own coffee in this. It does not work. I was told that Target has a basket that works with all the keurigs for about 10.00. I'm going to try this next. Also will try the pinch of salt. Thanks for the idea.
Sandy
Old 01-12-2015, 09:45 AM

I didn't like the mini-cup brewer because it seemed to me the water ran through too fast to get the full taste of the coffee.

I find many coffee brands bitter, but lately have enjoyed Dunkin Donuts Medium Roast. Then, they must have messed up a whole batch because it's been bitter the last few bags.

I'm going to try the salt thing.

You may want to try a light roast, it wouldn't be toasted as long and may have a less "burnt" taste, but be aware a lighter roast has more caffeine. I've had to mix light with medium or dark roast to prevent the jitters. I usually only drink a cup a day.

I like to buy from the bulk section and read the descriptions -- I look for one that says it is full bodied but has a smooth taste.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:27 AM

I love my Keurig! Since I am the only person in our family to drink coffee a friend of mine talked me into one. She & her DH like different kinds of coffee, so they have had one for years. When I got mine I had a lot of ground coffee still so used the My-K-Cup. It took me a while to get the amount right because I do not like very strong coffee, and I want to stay away from using creams and sugar in my coffee except for special times. (My first time with the flavored creams I drank 4 cups of coffee in less than an hour. I have never done that before or since. But it was so good!) I also use a filter with My-K-Cup, I got them at Walmart, to keep all the grounds out of the my coffee cup.

When it comes to coffee I remember my parents telling me they were asked by the broker to invest in the start up company inSeattle. So they went to the place and hated the coffee and declined the advice of the broker. They kept hearing about this company growing by leaps and bounds so went back to a different shop, still didn't like the coffee. Needless to say, it still continues to grow and my parents lost out on a good ground floor investment opportunity - but they never had a cup of coffee there that they liked. So different people like different brands.

You can take the Keurig back and go back to what you do like. Or use a My-K-Cup and measure the amount of coffee you like.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:35 PM

I like a good strong cup of coffee that is not bitter...since I live alone I usually have that cup in the afternoon and it is instant Nestles..the trick is having the water boiling hot. Love Starbucks coffee but only buy it for my large coffee urn for parties.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:30 AM

I agree with kuntryquilter. A pinch of salt is what my mother always told me to do. Have had to do it a couple of times.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:28 PM

We get 2 cups of coffee out of one K cup using the largest cup setting and this seems to work for us.