Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
How to get rid of bitter taste? >

How to get rid of bitter taste?

How to get rid of bitter taste?

Old 01-10-2015, 10:03 AM

Interesting, about the pinch of salt in coffee. I can't stand even the slightest pinch of salt, in my beloved coffee! To me, it changes the entire 'texture' of the brew.

When I want just one cup of coffee, I use a coffee bag (Folger's?) and it's perfect. Works just like a tea bag.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:32 AM

Put a pinch of salt in the coffee before you brew.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:36 AM

I have a Keurig and I use Yuban coffee. All of the others taste bitter to me. I do use the reusable cups and don't mind the clean up. If I buy the pods I get the flavored coffee because its a treat and I am worth it.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:12 PM

Once in a while when I make my spaghetti sauce, it has a bitterness to it and I just add a teaspoon of granulated sugar.
It works out great.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
...took the words right out of my mouth...about the salt.......

About the Keurig .....I bought myself one last year....have done both...bought prepacked and made my own......I am seriously thinking of just buying a small (4cup) coffee maker...just me here...prepackaged are expensive and cleaning those containers for doing ones own are a pain....and I really end up doing 2/3 cups before noon anyway......what to do, what to do.....
I have the sweetest little coffee maker or tea maker or instant soup maker. Whatever maker - Sunbeam Hot Shot Hot water dispenser. You fill the top of the maker with what water you need (I will use a mug of water), then I click the Heat Button, put in my cappuccino mix, or instant coffee, or soup mix or tea bag and by the time I get the mug taken care of, the water is boiling (almost). I press down the dispense button and the water goes into the mug and VOILA! I have coffee or whatever. You can Google Sunbeam Hot Shot Hot Water Dispenser. It is fabulous and if you only want one cup, great, if you want two cups, greater, just pour in some water into the top of the dispenser and wait 30 seconds and there you are. Now I am getting thirsty for a Double Mocha Cappuccino. With whipped cream on top. Edie

PS - I just checked and they are all over the place for $18-20.00. I have had mine for about three years now. I also can use it for Instant Oatmeal. I will use a larger pot for company, but for me, it is super great!

Last edited by Edie; 01-11-2015 at 04:35 AM.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:26 AM

UOTE=Ms Kay;7040643]I got a Keurige mini for Xmas. No matter what I do I can't get the bitter taste out of the coffee. I am using Foldgers classic roast. I tries cleaning it out with vinager and still get the same taste. I am using bottled water. Any ideas on what to do to get a better tasting cup of coffee.
Thanks for all the help I get.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't going to say anything but my husband said that I should because it may help. I have had a Keurig for years and had found that the ready made pods were too strong. We fill our pods with our own coffee. We purchased empty pods, filters, and caps from http://www.My-Kap.com. I still will use the prefilled ones but I make them weaker by pushing the 8oz button and then the 6oz. My husband prefers to fill his own. I love to buy the flavored coffee beans and ground my own coffee then I have super fresh coffee. They sell the refillable pods made for your coffee maker but I prefer the disposable ones that I order from My-Kap (no affiliation). I think I discovered them on you tube. Anyway, that is how we deal with this problem.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:49 AM

I put a pinch of baking soda in my ice tea to get rid of the bitterness... maybe that would work with coffee as well? You don't taste the baking soda at all...
Old 01-11-2015, 08:08 AM

Try Green Mountain Breakfast Blend, no bitter.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:34 PM

I use sweet-n-low in my coffee, and any time I go somewhere that the coffee is too strong, or bitter, I just put an extra packet, works for me. Usually the only time I drink more than one cup is at home, then I make it like I like it, and drink the whole pot!
Old 01-11-2015, 02:57 PM

I always found Folgers bitter with any regular pot.