Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Low sugar >

Low sugar

Low sugar

Old 01-30-2015, 03:54 AM

If you are making for a diabetic, the dessert needs to be low in salt, fat and sugar. Too much fat in chocolate and can have too much sugar in fruit. Although there is lactose in milk, it is one of the better sugars and my suggestion is to make a milk pudding.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
Edie, I use Truvia also and have been making my own jams with the Pamona Universal Pectin powder. Great recipes for jam and use it in anything I need to stay off sugar.
The gal topped off the night with 2 donuts after the dinner out, my my that is not good. But it sounds like she is satisfied with the way she eats.

I have eaten myself away from being a diabetic, eating properly makes a huge difference. I eat very healthy to spare myself from being on drugs. It takes determination but so worth it, love the Truvia. You can also grow your own Stevia plants then harvest the leaves to use in smoothies, great stuff and cheap.
So, stevia can be grown in Illinois? Like an herb? Then would one dry it.... How to make sweetener out of plant?
Old 01-30-2015, 04:41 AM
Banned

Being an insulin dependent type 2 diabetic on an insulin pump myself
it is the carbs that I have to count.

When I first started on insulin the "training" class I took talked about
the carbs. The easiest thing to remember was if it grows on a tree, or
a plant it has carbs. If it has a face meats (fish, pork, beef, poultry) it
has NO carbs.

Meats are the "free" foods UNLESS you bread it for cooking.

As for deserts watch out for the "sugar alcohols" because that is used
in MANY (if not most) sugar free stuff.

Look at the sugar/carbs on the sugar free cool whip than look at the
regular cool whip. They is LESS sugar/carbs in regular than in the
sugar free kind.

This is just from my own personal experiences being a diabetic.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
So, stevia can be grown in Illinois? Like an herb? Then would one dry it.... How to make sweetener out of plant?
My niece lives in Chicago and she planted Stevia and couldn't figure out what happened to the leaves. Her kids were picking them and chewing on them. So, yes. Stevia can be grown in Illinois. I don't know how it is converted. I do know and I just remembered that we have a nursery not far from here and they sell Stevia seeds. Check your local nurseries (the ones that sell, shrubs, trees, annuals, perennials, vegetables and seeds. Look for the fancy seeds like Sweet Dumpling squash - (they too, are very very good - little yet big enough for a whole one for one person. Good luck. You could also call a nursery and see if they will have the seed.......or Google Stevia - purchase seeds. Think Spring! Edie

PS - I just googled Stevia. In Zones 9-11 they are perennials. Otherwise they are annuals.
All kinds of information from the different seed companies. No calories, organic, very healthy, you name it. Or, you can buy Truvia in packets and/or jars. I buy the jars - $5.39, lasts a long time. Now I'll say Good Luck again.

Last edited by Edie; 01-30-2015 at 04:54 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:42 AM

Geri B, I am in the Thumb of MI and got 4 plants in the herb section of my farm market/nursery. I put them in tubs and they grew 3' tall and are on VERY sturdy stems. I let them grow until a frost was coming and cut the stems so the leaves would dry down naturally. Then strip them off and crush them to store in jars, I vacuum seal them for longer storage. I just put in blender for a smoothie, my current supply is from 2013 so best plant some this year. I might try to powder some but it will still be green, would get a lot more in a jar if in powder form.

I use Truvia for all my jams and cooking for things that are NOT green. Try a plant and see what you think from there.

Edie, I have never looked for seeds but the plants paid off very well for me.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:47 AM

Look at the sugar/carbs on the sugar free cool whip than look at the
regular cool whip. They is LESS sugar/carbs in regular than in the
sugar free kind.

And they usually take out the fat and put sugar in it's place, like milk, yogurts, sure is crazy as our brain has fat and needs fat to function properly. Yup, I go for the real stuff because it is healthier.

I limit carbs and am no longer diabetic but keep tabs on the numbers with Dr.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
sure is crazy as our brain has fat and needs fat to function properly. Yup, I go for the real stuff because it is healthier.
Yes, our brain needs fat to function properly. No matter what your age, everyone needs fat - that is the good fat: as in bacon, butter, meat, etc. That has been known for many years already, yet last year the school lunches decided to limit the amount of meat, cheese, eggs and whole milk. They only serve skim. We are killing our kids!

When they get home from school, they will head for the nearest candy bar.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:19 PM

Chocoalte Haupia Pie

1 Pie crust, home made or store bought, bake according to directions
1 box of SF Jello cook and serve chocolate pudding (or instant if you like)
1 container of FF or SF cool whip
Shredded coconut

Bake your pie crust, set aside and cool, then make the pudding and pour inside pie crust, put in fridge and let cool, when the pie is cool make the haupia and pour ontop of the pudding, put in fridge and let cool, once the pie is cool top with the container of cool whip and top with the coconut....you can find the Haupia mix in the asian section at most supermarkets, NOH makes it, (it comes in a package like your McCormaks seasonings would). This is sooooo good and guilt free.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:49 PM

Individual sized apple sauce mixed with cool whip, and crumble 1/2 a graham cracker on top, or put a tablespoon of your favorite dry cereal on it. Quick, easy and good.

Frozen blueberries (or any frozen fruit) and a 100 (or less) calorie yogurt, blended. Add a bit of milk if you want it a bit thinner.