Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Piecrust woes >

Piecrust woes

Piecrust woes

Old 11-24-2012, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I have made many a pie in my day and I use the ratio of 2 cups all-purpose flour to a 2/3 cup Crisco for one 2 crust pie or 2 pie shells. I use a pastry blender to cut the shortening into the flour until it looks like oatmeal. I add enough cold water to form it into 2 balls. Try not to overwork your dough as it makes it tough.
You can replace some water with vodka for an even flakier crust at a 1:1 ratio. Refrigerating empty pie shells also helps for a flakier crust. I roll out my pie crust on a piece of floured WAX PAPER to make it easier to pick it up and get into the pie plate. Start cooking your pie at 400* for 10 minutes and then turn the oven down for the rest of the cooking time. Try making pies again when it isn't a special occasion and you will probably have more luck. CONGRATULATIONS on a perfect turkey because that is the star attraction after all.

Thanks Tartan!! I'm keeping this one to try too!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:59 AM

I have found that glass or the darker metal pie crust pans work the best.....I even use the middle rack! Lots of good suggestions !!!!
Old 11-24-2012, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

I use the same recipe for crust that my mom used. 3 c. flour, 1 c. shortening(my mom always used lard but I can't bring myself to do that so I use crisco) a pinch of baking powder and a t. salt. I use my food processer and ice water. I refrigerate it for about 15 min. and roll it between saran wrap so as not to add flour. Flour will make a tough crust....My pie crust is always flakey and tender....I always put the pan on a cookie sheet to bake....
Old 11-24-2012, 08:47 AM

Wow, lots of great tips from expert pie bakers. Thanks. I guess hubby is going to have a lot of pies to sample in the next few months. But I don't think he'll mind. The irony is I can't even eat any of them. I have to be on a gluten free diet so I have to look for recipes using GF flour, which will make baking my pies even more challenging.

But if you have any more tips for me, let me know. And thanks again.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

I have used the Crisco pie crust recipe for over 50 years (yup, I'm old, but I started baking at 10), and it never fails. The most important thing to remember is that EVERYTHING must be cold, the shortening too, and ALWAYS USE ICE WATER. My sister taught me that trick about ice water, and she won many ribbons demonstrating making pie crust in 4-H. Hope this helps.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:33 AM

For years I have had the same problem with soggy bottom crusts. I have resolved that problem by placing a pizza pan that has holes all over it into the oven when I start prehearing it. It never fails.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:38 AM

I have resolved the soggy bottom crust by placing a pizza pan that has holes all over it into the oven when I start preheating the oven. When the over is hot I place the uncooked pie on the heated pizza pan and I no longer have soggy crusts.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
The simpliest recipe I've ever found is my mama's No Fail Piecrust. All you need is 1 stick butter melted. 1 and 1/4 cups all purpose flour. (if you can find WR Flour, it is the best) simply mix it with a fork and them press it into your pie pan with your fingers. WAAALAAA! Great crust !! I use Blue Bonnet margarine and I melt it in the microwave in the pieplate I am going to use. Soooooo easy!

Wow this sounds like my kind of pie crust....I have never been able to make a decent pie crust but sure am gonna give this a try...Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:41 PM

I have a recipe for a never fail crust . You can mix it by hand right in the pie pan and press it up on the sides. If you want a top crust mix the ingredients and then place between 2 sheets of was paper and roll out.

1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup of oil ( I use canola oil )
3 Tablespoons of milk ( I use 1/2 & 1/2 )
This is a very flakey crust and taste like the old fashion lard crust that Grandma used to make.

Hope some of you try this and let me know how it turned out.
Everyone that taste it can't believe it was that easy.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:39 PM

I'm not an expert pie maker, by any means (which is why the piecrust recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook is violently x-ed out). I just this year really got decent at making a crust. But I always use a pyrex pan, and I've never had a problem with soggy bottom crust. And the recipe I found that works EVERY TIME for me is from the Pioneer Woman Cooks blog. It's very flaky, and can stand more overworking than most, which is important for any piecrust I'm going to make.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...p-p-p-perfect/