Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 12-14-2014, 11:33 AM

she said 6 or 8 weeks so 6 or 8 clues......some of the clues must be assembling the blocks so thinking friday could be the last sub-assembly clue.............but I have never done one of BH mysteries before maybe she only gives assembly directions in the last clue....or if we figured the square inches in 88x88 (call that T)and the square inches of each unit finished (#3 is 3x6) and multiplied that by how many required and added #1#2#3 together and subtracted from'T'.... quess there are 2 more sub-assemblys or one big one.

I have a headache, be back later.

Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 12-14-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:20 PM

How much neutral you used will vary based on which technique you used for clue #2. I did the strip sets and cut 17 2" strips. That is almost a yard. Clue #3 will need 18 2" strips. So that is a second yard. In theory, if you have at least a yard left after clue #3, you should be alright.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:26 PM

@ Jo C I am sorry for your loss, sending prayers and good thoughts your way. Great that you have found quilting to help you through.
@SunlitenSmiles I have a headache just reading your math formula.

I'm doing this quilt scrappy so it's very difficult to figure out just how much I have used.
I just know that I have a lot of yellow left. I guess if I run out of any color I'll just have get a few different but close fat quarters to finish up.
I only have a few of # 2 and #3 finished, they are cut though. I have to give time to Christmas gifts now. It's seems to be rushing at us!
Old 12-14-2014, 03:01 PM

I feel like I have more fabric in my pile than when I started the MQ. Maybe it is because I keep finding fabric in my stash that I want to add to my quilt! Anxiously awaiting Friday's clue.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sophie2 View Post
I feel like I have more fabric in my pile than when I started the MQ. Maybe it is because I keep finding fabric in my stash that I want to add to my quilt! Anxiously awaiting Friday's clue.
I thought the same thing about my fabric today. Also I am getting a little nervous after reading all these posts. I have never done a MQ or BH quilt. When some mention the neutrals they have pulling it together I wonder if mine are pulling it apart. Don't have a clue what I am pulling together since I do not know what it is supposed to look like. Oh well, therefore the mystery. I am having fun with it. If I learn what a scant 1/4 inch is by the time I have finished, I just might tackle another one of Bonnie's quilts. I can understand when my children get aggravated with me when they ask how to cook something and I tell them just a tad of this, a pinch of that.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:45 PM

Jo -- sorry to hear of your husband's death. I'm glad you are posting here.

I had gotten behind -- still am, but at least some of each step is done. If I've counted right, I have 48 of step 1, 18 of step 2, and 40 of step 3. I'm aiming for half of what Bonnie states, so am well on the way. Even with doing the strip method, step 2 is a pain, so I'm proud of myself to have as many done as I do.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502470[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]502472[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]502474[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails grand-illusion-step-1.jpg   grand-illusion-step-2.jpg   grand-illusion-step-3.jpg  
Old 12-14-2014, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Joy Higdon View Post
I thought the same thing about my fabric today. Also I am getting a little nervous after reading all these posts. I have never done a MQ or BH quilt. When some mention the neutrals they have pulling it together I wonder if mine are pulling it apart. Don't have a clue what I am pulling together since I do not know what it is supposed to look like. Oh well, therefore the mystery. I am having fun with it. If I learn what a scant 1/4 inch is by the time I have finished, I just might tackle another one of Bonnie's quilts. I can understand when my children get aggravated with me when they ask how to cook something and I tell them just a tad of this, a pinch of that.
Joy, I have wondered to about the comments of neutrals pulling everything together. Not sure how you can tell if anything is pulling stuff together when we don't know how it will go together. I am enjoying my first BH MQ and will just go with the flow and trust that Bonnie will have everything looking great in the end. Love reading all the comments and seeing all the fabric choices!
Old 12-14-2014, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Sophie2 View Post
Joy, I have wondered to about the comments of neutrals pulling everything together. Not sure how you can tell if anything is pulling stuff together when we don't know how it will go together. I am enjoying my first BH MQ and will just go with the flow and trust that Bonnie will have everything looking great in the end. Love reading all the comments and seeing all the fabric choices!
I'm only using one neutral. It has spots of the other colors all over it, thus it pulls everything together. I've also changed out my colors, including using yellow for black and black for yellow just because I had a wide mix of yellows, but prefer a solid black. Don't get too wrapped up in what other people are doing or saying. One of the best things about a mystery is that none of us knows what choices will work out best anyway!
Old 12-14-2014, 05:56 PM

I haven't even started cutting yet... think I am gonna wait, gather all the clues and work on this over our SNOWBIRD travels this winter. My BIG question: Bonnie has given the block/square counts for her 88 x 88 size. What are those counts if you are doing 44 x 44 or the smallest (1/4 size) 22 x 22? I worked it out but as I read the counts of others who are NOT doing the big one-my counts are very different.... any body want to jump in and let me know what their counts are ?? I hope this makes sense and it should be easy until I start reading other peoples "counts" ! *sigh*
Old 12-14-2014, 05:57 PM
Power Poster

I got to start clue 2 today! Love it... what neat blocks. I found tons of neutrals to use. I am starting with a 2.5" x 4.5" neutral rectangle, and then adding the pink and black corners. I have more variety if I use the many 2.5" squares I have collected from swaps, so I'm using those up first (method 3). When they are gone I will cut more with the EasyAngle ruler (method 1 and 3 combined) and will sew them on my neutral rectangles. It's working great! No trimming so far.

Can't wait to see how many scrappy squares I have in my swap collections for the clue 3 blocks. I will sew them square by square until I run out, and then switch to Bonnie's faster strip pieced method.

FUN!!

Oh by the way, I don't have the patience to mark hst pieces. I press them in half instead, and then sew just inside the press line. They come out fine.