Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT?? >

GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT??

GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT??

Old 02-06-2010, 01:18 AM

No color for me. I did go blond for a short bit--but I didn't intend that at all! I just wanted highlights, and it all turned out very light. My hair is very thin in the first place, and baby-fine. I have lupus and it causes my hair to fall out in spots from time to time, and so I have to take really good care of my hair. I am 58, and just have a tiny bit of gray--mostly one streak on my right side. When I do anything "chemical" to my hair, it tends to break off or fall out more, so no more chemicals for me... :cry:
Old 02-06-2010, 06:39 AM

I hear ya, I have Graves disease and just got over a bout of hair lose and aslo have fine thin hair. Then when as it starts to grow back the short ones want to stand on end. "eerrrrr"

I do color though, I am not liking the gray yet. My heart is still 25 and not ready to accept getting old yet.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

I hated my hair color until I started getting a little gray. Then of course I wished I had my shiny, almost black hair back! The grass is always greener..... or in my case blacker :D I color it but it always looks too dark so I may need to break down and let the pros do it. My sister is a slave to her hairdresser and that's one reason I hate to start. I don't have a lot of gray but just enough to look awful with the black :D
Old 02-06-2010, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I hated my hair color until I started getting a little gray. Then of course I wished I had my shiny, almost black hair back! The grass is always greener..... or in my case blacker :D I color it but it always looks too dark so I may need to break down and let the pros do it. My sister is a slave to her hairdresser and that's one reason I hate to start. I don't have a lot of gray but just enough to look awful with the black :D
My mom had black hair, which she colored for so many years. She started turning gray at 17. I can't remember at what age she decided to finally let it grow out, but when she did, her hair was the most beautiful white that I have ever seen. I hope that when I am all gray, my hair will look just like hers. I don't think it will though--what I have is just plain old gray--not even silver :cry: .
Old 02-07-2010, 10:25 AM

When I was 35, I got my first gray hair, and was SOOOO PROUD! I worked for that gray hair, I deserved that gray hair, it was MY gray hair and I WANTED that gray hair - - simply a matter of thinking: Maybe if I have gray hair, someone will take me seriously! LOL
So, I go to the home place, my mother happens to walk by my chair, sees the gray hair, comments on it, and yanks it out! :evil:
DOn't ask ... I just call her "mom" I can't explain her, though I do have my suspicions :?
I chewed her out, of course, because I tend toward being a bit cheeky and mouthy, and besides ... my father told me: If you can spell the word then you can say it! (I can spell a LOT of words! LOL)
now, I am more than twenty years past that momentous day, and I don't have many gray hairs - - life is just too easy, I guess <g> .... but, I do have blond streaks where the gray normally should show up - - heritage from mother's side of the family <g> I guess I will still claim her!
I wouldn't have colored my hair, no matter what! I don't have time to keep track of that stuff - - I don't even use makeup! I couldn't stand to look in a mirror that long! <wave>
Old 02-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

Omak, you are HILARIOUS :lol:
Old 02-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

HILARIOUS!! :D
Old 02-07-2010, 10:43 AM

LOL ... and honest ;) sad, sad tale of a human who is a living example of why to or not to be my disciple! LOL <wave>
Old 02-07-2010, 10:43 AM

I'm a redhead, and have started graying in the last 5 years, so far it's localized to one area between my left temple & top of my head, I'm hoping it comes in like a streak, I think that would be very 'artsy', besides, I'm to lazy to maintain a dy job, so I've never done it. I vote for natural.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I'll be 50 this year and don't have a whole lot of gray, yet. My mother has this beautiful white hair, of course that grew in after her Chemo 25 years ago.
I have naturally blond hair, but it has gotten a darker the past few years so a good friend of mine weave's it for me, to "lighten" my life up a little!! With my blond, I don't think the gray shows up a whole lot.
I think Gayle and I are twins - same age, same story about little gray yet but it has darkened so I get it highlighted once in a while to keep it a little lighter. So far, I don't need to decide about really coloring it and am afraid about when I do because then it requires a lot more attention than just highlighting once in a while.