Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend >

Virtual Quilting Weekend

Virtual Quilting Weekend

Old 08-03-2014, 03:34 PM

Hi All,

Well we've had a very productive day over here in Northern CA!

This morning DH had to go do some work with his dad, so I got up kinda early and cut out some pieces for the D9P I bought last week. I just wanted to see if I was going to have enough fabric-- hoping I would, because I'm working toward being on a budget. I have enough for the blocks but I'll need to make some purchases for backing and binding. I knew that when I bought the first go around, but I would have gone over last month's budget if I bought the whole thing at once. I haven't seen a fabric.com coupon in my email lately, are they still sending them? I can go back to Beverly's if not. I like to shop there anyway because it helps keep the doors open. Nothing quite like being able to walk into a store and see fabric first hand.

Anyway, I'm rambling.. So I cut some 5 inch squares of the gray and yellow, washed the turquoise. Then I put together the baby quilt. :-)

About that time my husband came home, and it was time for us to go to the Sonoma County Fair and race our little dog, Parker! We came in third in our heat-- no prize for that, but it was our first race and I'm really proud of our little guy!! It was so much fun! Here's a pic of us. Again sideways. Sorry. Wish I could figure that out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]486179[/ATTACH]

After we raced, my DH came with me to check out the quilts. They were so gorgeous. I'm really going to work on my skills so I can enter something next year. He says my quilts are good enough already but I think he maybe has some rose colored glasses laying around!!

I'm loving seeing all of your pics: IrishGal, I really, really love the colors in your quilt. I can't believe you got it put together so quickly! Nanna-up-North, I love everything about your guitar quilt. PenniF, your wedding quilts are just so beautiful, they will be treasured I'm sure. Sisty88, love the colors in your hexi quilt-- and admire your patience. I just don't have it!! tusconquilter, those little trees are super cute! Sunnie, so cool to see the pinwheels together with the butterflies!!

So, I'm gonna have a sit for a few minutes, and then put the borders on the baby quilt. Hoping to have it on the rack tonight, ready to quilt tomorrow. I'm thinking of doing a free motion daisy chain sort of a thing. I would love some input on how other folks have quilted their D9P's.

Sorry so long. I'm really enjoying being a member of this board!
Attached Thumbnails doggie.jpeg  
Old 08-03-2014, 03:36 PM

Oh, I knew I was forgetting something! This morning I also pieced some of the leftover pieces from the baby quilt. I think I have 9 blocks made.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
The granny square quilt top came out great! And is that your sewing area? All neat and tidy like that? I am impressed!
No, that's my dining room. I place my quilts and quilt tops on the display cabinet to get a decent picture of them. That sewing machine in the picture doesn't work, it's just for display.

My sewing area is in the living room. Here's a picture of my sewing/living room with my daughter when she was over on July 4th to make her purse.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]486180[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg  
Old 08-03-2014, 04:47 PM

AllyStitches, both you and your dog are just too cute!!!! 3rd place sounds great to me!
Old 08-03-2014, 05:02 PM

Didn't finish the assignment however I did accomplish more than if I hadn't agreed to. Also it. Was worth the trip to Sears, did save some moola........thank you for starting this.......
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 08-03-2014, 05:04 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]486200[/ATTACH]My last little piddly offering for the virtual sewing weekend... Have soooooo enjoyed seeing everyone's photos... I know it's a pain to take the picture (at least for me) then load it to the computer... then resize it... then post it....BUT.... I appreciate all your efforts, THANKS!
Attached Thumbnails last-29th-week001_edited-small-.jpg  
Old 08-03-2014, 05:07 PM

Reporting in...studio closed for weekend..just finished my QB Block of Month..off to post photo. Hope everyone had as much fun as I did

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 08-03-2014, 05:26 PM

Many thanks to Krista for starting this VQW. I get so much motivation and inspiration from the VQWs. Although I'm not in Canada I do plan to celebrate the holiday tomorrow by continuing to work on my quilting and binding. Good Night for now.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:01 PM
Power Poster

I love your block, Thimblebug. It reminds me of a card trick block, but pinwheely!

Thanks for the close up of the City Squares blocks, Jeanne S... I can see from them how the quilt is made. Very cool.

Dinner is out of the way, so I may go pick up where I left off on my buckeye quilt, just for a while. I'd rather sew but there's so much trimming to do first... yuck.

If some of you are still sewing tomorrow, I may join you. I will be home until the late afternoon.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:05 PM

Took my son out shopping and then to dinner. When we got home, rather than starting a new project (much as I wanted to) I decided to tackle some backings. Got the backing made for my Christmas tree skirt and a pieced backing for a Metro Lattice quilt that I made a couple of weeks ago. Now I just have to schedule myself some more time on the long arm.

Thanks everyone for joining this weekend. It's great to see everyone's progress and have a chance to share photos as we move along. I'll be continuing the fun tomorrow, if anyone is able to join me for 1 more day.

I think Raggiemom is planning her next VQW for September 12-14 - hope to see you all there!