• Main
  • Stupidity and a permanent marker >
  • Stupidity and a permanent marker

• Stupidity and a permanent marker

Old 10-24-2013, 03:33 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

Ouch ouch !
    Old 10-24-2013, 03:36 AM

So sorry this happened to you. I don't have a solution, but a suggestion for the next time. There is a heat sensitive stabilizer product I have used like this without any problems. It is called Miracle Film and is made by Marathon (they also make nice threads). I always either let the permanent Sharpie dry overnight, or cheat and heat dry it with my hairdryer. This stabilizer is made to be removed with a hot iron suspended overtop (it curls into little balls of plastic which you can sweep off), but it is perforated, and tears away very easily without pulling out stitches. I've never had to use an iron. I believe Sulky also makes a heat sensitive stabilizer which can be used the same way, but I think Miracle Film is less expensive. Good luck to you.
    Old 10-24-2013, 04:21 AM

I think using purple thread to quilt this would be the perfect solution. You really meant to quilt it with purple anyway, didn't you?
    Old 10-24-2013, 04:36 AM
    Power Poster

I had a similar problem with Clover blue chalk. The blue chalk just won't come off. Called the company and complained. None of their solution worked including washing. Sound like Tartan has the best idea. I wish you good luck !!
    Old 10-24-2013, 04:47 AM

Take it to dry cleaner they have a spray spot remover I work in a tee shirt printing place and we use a product called a spiff gun it is that chemical
    Old 10-24-2013, 05:06 AM
    IQ2

The same thing happened to me when I traced a quilt pattern onto tulle with permanent marker and then traced over it with disappearing pen onto my block. Apparently, I didn't wait long enough for the marker to dry, and when I wet the disappearing ink to "disappear" it the black marker had transferred to my fabric and was still there. I sprayed the area with Resolve Max stain remover and rubbed it with a dry washcloth. After several sprays and rubs it did come off.

That being said, I think the colored thread solution is a great idea!
    Old 10-24-2013, 07:55 AM
    Power Poster

I think Tartans idea should work, so sorry this happened.
    Old 10-24-2013, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Pam H
    I remember hearing about using Glad press and seal to mark lines for machine quilting. Sounded like a good idea.....until I used a permanent marker for my tracing and then sewed over that line. The white thread turned black. I thought when I ripped out the thread it would be ok. Nope. Anyone have any tips for getting the black marker out? The only thing I can think of would be to do my stitching in a dark color.

Use the magic marker on a scrap of your fabric, then try to remove it with nail polish remover. Shoud work if it doen't melt anything.
    Old 10-24-2013, 09:00 AM

I had a similar experience at work with a black permanent marker and a white cotton blouse. I used White Out from the office supply store to cover the black mark. I only meant it to be a temporary fix until I could get home to try something else, but I forgot and threw the blouse in the wash. That was over a year ago, and the White Out is still covering the stain, but I have had to touch it up a couple of times. I'd try it on a piece of left-over fabric first to see if it works for you.
    Old 10-24-2013, 10:27 AM

Hi, Pam -

I've marked stitching samples with a permanent sharpie and it faded a fair amount in the first 2 washes, so another wash might dim it further and make it invisible with a darker thread over it.

If it makes you feel any better, I stupidly used an evaporating marker one year to write Christmas gift tags. Every one of them was blank when we went to open them.

Hugs,
    Charlotte