Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stupidity and a permanent marker >

Stupidity and a permanent marker

Stupidity and a permanent marker

Old 10-24-2013, 11:12 AM

I did once get a little rip in a quilt from leaving in a needle that I then clamped in the frame. I appliqued a butterfly over it, like broderie perse in my case. I had leftover from a butterfly print I'd used elsewhere in the quilt, so I cut one out and needle turned it right over the tear. Just the one butterfly. It was viewed by everyone later as a charming and whimsical little accent, the last extra mile, so to speak. The mother said, "Oh look! A little butterfly!" And then she turned and looked at me with such a huge smile on her face. She doesn't know. It always makes me feel a little guilty, but why spoil it for her?

You could do like someone suggested and applique a heart frame over the mark, white applique on white background would still be subtle, and seem like an extra whimsical little accent. It would be like an Easter egg for people who look closely.

Last edited by Petalpatsy; 10-24-2013 at 11:18 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-24-2013, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
Hi, Pam -

I've marked stitching samples with a permanent sharpie and it faded a fair amount in the first 2 washes, so another wash might dim it further and make it invisible with a darker thread over it.

If it makes you feel any better, I stupidly used an evaporating marker one year to write Christmas gift tags. Every one of them was blank when we went to open them.

Hugs,
Charlotte

I'm going to have to apologize but I had to laugh over the disappearing ink.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:13 PM

That's perfectly ok. I'm sure my kids will be retelling it for years.

Really, no one was more surprised than me. I actually didn't know there was such a thing. The marker had come with my new Viking machine and I was wrapping presents on the ironing board and just sort of picked it up. I guess they work.

Charlotte
Old 10-24-2013, 03:29 PM

91% isopropyl alcohol. It should not remove the color from your other fabrics but it will dissolve the pen. You will have to use enough alcohol to blot the marker off the fabric but it will remove it completely.

You have to use 91% alcohol, the standard 70% won't work. You can find it at any pharmacy or Walmart and Walgreen's

Test your other fabrics for color loss first for peace of mind.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

Try a little alcohol on a Q-Tip and just dab at it. Maybe lightly roll the Q-Tip with a twist. Don't scrub it you might smear/spread it.. If that doesn't work maybe stitch over it with a strand of white embroidery floss or double the thread you used to stitch it. I would try the Q-Tip with the alcohol first.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:45 AM

Try alcohol. It works on skin.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:13 AM

Good luck sorry this happened to you but your quilt is beautiful
Old 10-25-2013, 03:43 AM

Might try a swatch with permanent pen and use hair spray to see if that would take it out. I have used it to remove regular ink from shirt pockets.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:57 AM

So sorry about the mishap! But the suggested solutions are helpful. I have used hairspray on ball point ink stains and it works. Consider the product called Sew Clean, available online and in some quilt stores. I had one thing happen to me and it is worth passing on. I had just FMQ'd a small wall hanging with a landscape which included some white fabric pieces. The backing was all purple. Well I used white thread on the white fabric for FMQ. There were a few white stitches that showed on the back. I used a purple (unfortunately permanent) marker to cover up the white thread. Guess what. The purple ink actually migrated to the front through the thread, and there were purple dots on the front! This was solved by cutting up cotton lace trim with flower motifs and putting little flowers on the white! Lesson learned!
Old 10-25-2013, 04:54 AM

Same thing happened to me . I haven't tried it since.