Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you confirm the order of "events" for me, please?? >

Can you confirm the order of "events" for me, please??

Can you confirm the order of "events" for me, please??

Old 03-12-2013, 09:17 AM

Everything has been covered, except I wanted to add that if you do not have instructions for your walking foot, it would be a good idea to watch a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VXXIiXuyms demonstrating how they are attached and used. They can be kind of tricky to get onto the machine. The little arm on the right goes over the screw that holds the needle in. Some ride on top of it and others have more of a fork that goes around it. Without that arm in the right position the foot won't walk. Don't be afraid of the walking foot - you'll love the even results, which would be hard to achieve without it.

I totally agree that gentle wavy lines with a walking foot are the best way to get into quilting. Another way that also looks nice on many types of blocks is to stitch about a quarter inch along the seams. Echo stitching, where you repeat the same shape out a little farther, also looks nice and can be done easily with the walking foot. Stitch in the Ditch gives me headaches and to the untrained eye the result doesn't really look as if you did anything much. As someone who has tried it, I'm impressed with good SiD, but almost any other method would look better to me (just my personal bias!). One advantage to SiD is that it puts the focus more on the fabrics and the design of the blocks and less on the quilting. It just depends on what you're trying to achieve.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:18 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Naturalmama: you can do it .. just do it .. I have faith in you....
Old 03-12-2013, 07:47 PM

you could also find some vireos on this subject on U tube