Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2022 >

What are we organizing today 2022

What are we organizing today 2022

Old 12-29-2022, 03:36 PM

Happy New Year, Y'all!

Teen- I need to do that, too. We used to put up a lot more decorations that we do now. There are some we haven't put out for several years now.

Tallchick- you've been on a roll! Tackling the spice cupboard is a major accomplishment. Congratulations.

I've spent the last two weeks working on rearranging my quilting studio as a result of buying a Cutie frame when they were on sale for $489 last month. I wasn't going to do it, but decided to go for it when I realized: a. how much money I've been spending on basting spray and b. that my reactive airway disease gets triggered by using spray baste. I stopped pin basting because it takes too long and for big quilts, the sandwich gets really heavy with all the pins. I've already basted one quilt on the cutie using my trusty PQ1500s- took about the same amount of time as if I'd spray basted, and my cough reflex didn't get triggered-so that's a good thing. I'll still quilt the quilt on my Sweet Sixteen as I like being able to quilt all over the quilt as I go, rather than having to concentrate on one area at a time like you do with frame systems- Also, I'm more comfortable moving the quilt than the machine LOL. It took some doing to find a good place to set it up, but after moving a couple of machines around I was able to put up the folding table that the Cutie sits on. I might do some more tweaking in the future.

Rob
Old 12-29-2022, 03:59 PM

Tallchick….spices are my downfall…..I love them…lol! I’m a lousy cook on my own and rely on recipes. I really dislike not having a spice if recipe calls for it…so many are gifted with the concept of “substitute” but I have no clue. Lol….great way to start the new year!

Rob…I never considered spray baste as an irritant, health wise. When I quilt my own, that is the method I use…I usually just spray “spots” as opposed to “all over”. So glad you found an alternative. I keep looking at the Sweet Sixteen’s….I just don’t want to give up space for it. Lol…. I like my aesthetic…lol…

Old 12-30-2022, 08:15 AM

Teen- not 100% sure that spray baste is the culprit since I often go from spray basting to piecing or quilting on another quilt while waiting for the spray baste to set up. But, since I'm now taking two meds for the respiratory problem, I decided to look for another solution. I will still need to spray baste some quilts that have heavy painting on them as the hole left by the needle in painted areas doesn't close up, but I do fewer of those types of quilts.

I love my Sweet Sixteen. You can find really good deals on used ones now since Handiquilter came out with 2 new sit down machine in the past couple of years. I've seen Sweet Sixteen's with very few stitches on them and goodies like additional feet and the table extensions going for as little as $2,000 on eBay, Facebook marketplace and Sew it's for sale. If you can find the space, I say go for it. That extra throat space has made a big difference in my quilting comfort over the years.

Rob
Old 12-30-2022, 03:43 PM

Thanks, Rob! I’ve been watching pricing on some machines. Playing with the idea of purchasing an embroidery machine, too…just too many cutesy projects made with those…lol…. Keeping $$ close to the chest for now….
Old 01-01-2023, 07:07 AM

All of you are so motivated. Happy New Year. I periodically check this site and love all your ideas and inspiration. Rob, I too love the Sweet Sixteen, however I have the Tiara II, which is basically the same. Sure made a huge difference in my ability to do free motion quilting. I spray baste on our ping pong table in the basement with boards.
Re: spices, I'm a bit OCD with spices and have a double decker rotating rack that only takes up about 10" in diameter. All my spices are in alphabetical order otherwise I end up with two or three of the same spice, not being able to find what I want and buying another.
I did the Just Get It Done De-clutter challenge last year and got rid of lots of books, fabric, patterns and kits to a local craft center that takes almost anything, including old vases, wood scraps etc. Three boxes of books went to the local library bookstore to benefit the library. I don't mind "giving things away" as long as I know they will be used. I still have enough to last probably two life times but at least it is organized and I can find things again. I clean up after every project so it pretty much stays that way now. I think Karen is doing it again this year and I highly recommend all or parts of it. I think most of us would get rid of more if we had a place or people that would take it.
My next project is piecing my pastel flannel pieces into receiving blanket tops, and pairing them with yardage I got on sale to make the self binding blankets for our church. That should get rid of another bin of scraps LOL
Keep up the motivation and suggestions for the rest of us.
Old 01-01-2023, 09:06 AM

WowEmilias Nana that's an impressive amount of reorganization/decluttering!

Happy New Year everyone. I'm going to open a new thread- What are We Organizing today 2023. So everyone please start posting there.

Rob
Old 01-23-2023, 12:30 AM

Amazing! Cutting table is still cleared off from the diaster created making the skateboard quilt which I plan to start quilting today.

Got brave last week and decided to make a log cabin quilt Only 48 blocks of 8" logs plus the center square." Started with blue and white and quickly realized not enough blue so added green. Oh that's nice but dull. Now I have three stacks of fab...blue, green and white. Shopped my stash and added yellow and orange. THAT'S THE TICKET!!! Nice and cheery. And the top is done. Will glue baste that sucker today.

Had so much fun making that top, decided to make another one. (All of these quilts are for Project Linus and measure about 48*64) Besides I have the 3 piles of fab on the cutting table in nice neat piles. I'm doing assembline line sewing. Adding the same size log to each of the 48 blocks. Easy for me to balance the colors and control the chaos.

I feel pretty smug with the lack of chaos with these 2 log cabin quilts. Not sure if the next quilt will be easy to "control" but at least I know it can be done. lol (Sigh )
Old 01-23-2023, 07:41 AM

I love your system, Julienm1 - how wide are your strips? I'm noticing a lot of 1.5" - 2" strips in my scrap boxes and have been playing with the idea of a log cabin along with some other options.
Old 01-23-2023, 08:13 AM

Gemm, my strips are 2" wide. By blocks finish at 8". Creative idea. You could use both sizes of strips. I'd add the narrower strips to the inside of lthe block. This would add lots of color to your blocks.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:26 AM

2nd log cabin blocks are done except for the final pressing. and...drum roll please...RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...cutting table is cleared off. Put all the left over hunks of fab back on the shelf an done. This is a major accomplishment for me. Trying tok break a bad habit of leaving piles of left over fab on the table, Now I can glue baste the 1st log cabin top and mark it for quilting tomorrow before eye doc appointment. I really feel AMAZED,not amazing but AMAZED!!! lol