Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department >

Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department

Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department

Old 02-08-2012, 04:12 AM
dd

I guess my WM is different. We have lots of fabrics and usually don't have any trouble getting it cut. The people are very friendly there also. I think this store has so much fabric because there is no LQS in that town. Must drive at least 1/2 hr to find one. We also have a lot of Mennonite women who shop there for clothing fabric and everything else. They do a very good business with their fabric. We never lost the fabric dept when everyone else did.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:20 AM

Your cellphone idea may be fine for those people who have cellphones. I don't have a cellphone, nor do I want one. My friend, who used to work in the old fabric dept. at Wally World, has now been moved to the registers. I have NEVER seen anyone in the "new" fabric dept. that they brought back a few months ago. The fabric quality is as lacking as the counter help.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:20 AM

I understand everyone's point of view on this subject. Years ago, when money was tight, sewing and making costumes for my girls was an expense that was not necessary, but I enjoyed being able to 'afford' the cost at Walmart or JoAnn's (with coupons). Now that money is a little bit more available, I enjoy the quality and service I get at LQS! My stash is 95% from LQS and 5% from a local donation shop. I can tell when I feel a fabric where it came from and am pleased at how far I've come.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:21 AM

I'm glad our local Walmart HAS a fabric department. The next closest WM became a SUPERSTORE and since it reopened their once huge fabric/crafts department has been reduced to 2 aisles.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:20 AM
Swap Hosts

Our Walmarts don't have a call associate bell. Have also tried calling the store manager and nothing happens. Since my husband is usually with me, he wanders around looking for someone and if he has no luck, I cut the fabric myself. However, you can always try to get the store manager on the phone and tell him that you are going to cut the fabric yourself if no one shows up.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:29 AM

I have only bought the pre-cut at Wal-mart, however, I have had to wait for service at Hoby Loby also. The Wal-mart near me has a lot of fabric, only thing is, it is so stuffed in the bins, it is hard to get at or put back , so it is piled on the cutting table. Yes, they do need someone interested in sewing at that station, but then what other department can you find someone to help??????
Old 02-08-2012, 05:48 AM

We had a small older Wal-Mart where the fabric dept was always staffed. They closed that store and made a super store. This new store is awful. There is never anyone around to cut fabric. When you finally get someone, it is someone who knows nothing about cutting fabric. BTW-the rest of the new store is awful also. It is not clean, it is never well stocked and is a very frustrating place to go to. If you have a list of 10 item to buy at this store, you will only find 6 or 7. You can never finish up your list. They should never have closed the old store.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:04 AM

We have the "no staff at the fabrics" problem at our closest Wally Mart. I'm glad they kept it but there is never anyone there to cut fabric, no matter the time. I have waited over 20 minutes, rattled the bell, asked someone from another department to help me or send someone. I have chased employees down.

It's awful really. The office supply department has been in shambles for months- empty shelves. Messy shelves. No one seems to care. I get to the checkout and some items aren't tagged so I have to wait for a price check. I don't think it's the employees fault as they have to cover so many areas. So many of them seem to be in a BAD mood and will openly tell you there have been layoffs and they are running to get things done.

Wally Mart is what's closest to me but I hate going there. It used to be so different.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:12 AM

well I'm just gone to point out one thing. not standing up for Wal- Mart or the LQS's. but I have been to lqs that they have look down they nose it me like I was the SH-- on they shoe and I have had to LOOK and LOOK for somebody to cut fabric for me at wal mart, { end-up getting on a frist name bases will the shoe guy so he can runs the tickle machine and I cut the fabric.} which by the way we now don't fabric at our wal-mart, or a LQS . may be it time we go back to people sevices. sorry just had to vent.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:20 AM

Ladies, I work at Walmart and have for 15 years. I too am not happy at the way the fabric department looks most of the time and the poor customer service. Please call 1-800 walmart and complain. Maybe we can save the fabric department before it's too late .