American Food

Old 08-08-2010, 11:05 AM

The other eye-opener was those well-meaning folks who "fixed" Sauerkraut by heating a can of kraut. YUK! That is the worst way to ever make the dish which I love when it is prepared properly.[/quote]

I do like German chocolate cake and I did know it was a guy named German. I even like the coconut and pecan frosting.
I like Kielbasa and sauerkraut but mine is from a can. sorry. I would love to taste the real stuff though.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:12 AM

I live on the Oregon coast, but my family is a melding of about everything: my father was born and raised in China, so we had the asian influence, my husband's father was born in Scotland, but his grandfather was Burmese, so they had the spicy Burmese influences in there Scottish fare, they had mince and tatties, potatoes and minced or ground round with onions and a lot of Burmese curry was a mainstay in their diet. It's one of my family's favorite dishes. Then my mother's side of the family is French, German,and English, all being raised in Arkansas. Talk about a combination of different tastes. Cracklins to sop. which is cornbread and milk. We also ate a lot of okra, fried. Biscuits and gravy were a mainstay at Grams, Grandpa was fron Texas, so we ate a lot of Mex style food also, and there was always bread and potatoes on his table. His favorite dessert was shoo fly pie, of raisin pie(yuck), Grandma was a cobbler maker if it was fruit she made cobbler out of it, and being in the salinas valley in California, there was all kinds of fruit and fresh veges, and most of their meat was either baked, or fried, they ate a lot of beans, I don't think my Gram ever got over the depression. Don't get me wrong, I love beans,lima, navy, black, and any other. The one thing that Gram made that I couldn't stand was the green beans that were cooked all day with bacon. To this day, I can't even stand the smell of this. I love veges lightly cooked, or stir fried. And, don't let me get started on cornbread, can't get enough of it.

Now in my family, we eat almost every kind of food. In one week are meals can consist of stir fry, lentils, fried chicken, spaghetti, Tom Yum soup, sauerkraut and dumplings with spareribs. And on and on..

I don't think I have ever had a twinkie, but what I had had to have been better than preservatives in a cake. That was my mothers definition of a twinkie.

Our favorite places to go out to eat are Thai. Mongolian, or Chinese. I know these are very "Americanized", but they are healthier than plain American.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by welshgem
Wow dont you have chip shops? lol That is a shocker. What chips do you eat then?
Or is everything fries over there?
unless i'm mistaken, what you call "chips", we call "french fries" or just "fries". they're prepared a number of ways over here - ranging between those cut thick and hearty and not crispy on the outside, to cut very thin (think McDonald's) and are crispy.

there are trendy "niche" restaurants in most of the larger cities. you'd probably find some dedicated to fish and chips. for the most part, though, they're just one of many items often found on menus.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:25 AM

I crave 2 foods I've had in foreign countries. One is GOOD fish tacos like I had in Mexico. They do something to that sauce that makes them scrumptious. The other is Lumpias as my Philappino friend taught me to make. I had neither of these foods when I was growing up. Come to think of it, I didn't have Chinese food until I was in my teens, nor pizza, and didn't have spaghetti. My father was a meat and potatoes person...when I left home, I went on a binge!!! LOL
Old 08-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

what are biscuits and chocolate gravy?

:-)
My late husband loved chocolate gravy. His mother made it for him when he was little. I like gravy, but gravy was not meant to be sweet and have chocolate in it. He was raised in Oklahoma.

I
Old 08-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

My mother made homemade sauerkraut. There is no possible way I could eat that because of the horrible smell. Everyone else like it, but not me. I will never eat sauerkraut again.

I do like liver and onions, but I think it is like lamb and wild game, you have to know how to cook it. I won't eat it unless I cook it for myself.

When I was little I was raised on a farm and I had no idea people were adverse to things like liver, heart, sweetbreads, rocky mountain oysters, etc... until I started college.

My late husband wanted me to cook tripe when were first married and I told him that was just not going to happen.
I don't like grits and wouldn't cook them either.

Thai food was also mentioned. The "Thai" restaraunts in my area serve very spicy food, and that is not on my agenda. I don't even like pepper of any kind.

This is always so interesting.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Dancing Needle

I remember years ago when I was visiting a friend in Wales we walked to the neighborhood "chip shop" (I think he called it). We bought delicious fish and chips and they wrapped it up in newspaper for us to take home with us. It was SO good!
Wow dont you have chip shops? lol That is a shocker. What chips do you eat then?
Or is everything fries over there?
Long John Silver's & Captain D's--fast food places and then we have Mrs. Paul's, Gortman's or Gordon's, and Van deKamp's frozen fish fillets in every grocery store.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

My favorite breakfast is biscuits and chocolate gravy.[/quote]

No way!!! I never knew body outside my Dad's family that ate Chocolate gravy. We ate ours with waffles and bacon.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:43 PM

I have never heard of "Chocolate gravy". I will have to ask DH if he has.
It is funny that bacon and Avocado's make something California Style. We have lots of Avocado's here, a good friend lives in an Avocado Orchard, I love Avocado's and Guacamole, but bacon, how is that California????
Old 08-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Dix

I love the scones and cream in the Swan Pubs there. In our part of Okla. we eat about anything that won't eat us first! We have traveled the world and the only things I could not eat was Haggis in Scotland and yaks milk in Mongolia. My cousins and I grew up on chocolate gravy and hot biscuits, that my German grandmother made. My favorite thing in the UK are the wonderful breads.