Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Best Iron >
  • Best Iron

• Best Iron

Old 01-30-2012, 12:33 PM

I have two inexpensive ones -- a Black & Decker that's lasted 5 years so far and a toastmaster that I keep in the travel trailer or drag to class. No problems with either. Since I don't like ironing, it seemed logical not to spend much on something I didn't like.
    Old 01-30-2012, 12:50 PM

I have 2 Rivals from Wal*Mart. both were under $10 and they do what I want them to do. I have one on my sewing table to do fast pressing the other is in another area to do larger pressing. I spent less than $20 for the two.
    Old 01-30-2012, 02:46 PM

I got mine basic iron at the thrift store - $4.00. I rarely use steam but if needed, there's always the spray bottle.
    Old 01-30-2012, 03:12 PM

I can tell you of one I WOULD NOT buy again. It's a Black & Decker All Temp Steam. The darn thing shuts completely off in a matter of seconds once it's reached the set temperature. You have to rock it when it beeps so it will heat again and that's really aggravating!!! Bought it off of Ebay and there was no manual so found one online thinking maybe this option could be overridden or reset. Nope! That's just how it is. HATE THIS THING!!! Can't wait until it dies but it will probably last forever. You know....Murphy's Law type of thing. LOL!!
    Old 01-30-2012, 04:38 PM

I have the "dry iron" with a smooth soleplate from Vermont Country Store. It is VERY simple and gets VERY hot. If I want steam, I use a spray bottle.
    Old 01-30-2012, 04:41 PM

I just bought a cheap Black and Decker for 13 bucks. The jury is still out on it but it is lightweight and seems to be doing a good job! Sure beats the heck out of spending a forturne for one of those huge heavy ones!
    Old 01-30-2012, 04:44 PM
    nms

Default best iron

Did the expensive Rowenta thing...lasted less than a year. Love my black and decker.
    Old 01-30-2012, 04:57 PM

Cheaper the better, they just don't last. The new Rowenta irons aren't what their cracked up to be. I have a Black and Decker I bought at Walmart for $12 and it works great, and I've had it for 8 years.
    Old 01-30-2012, 06:20 PM

A cheap black and decker works fine, however I had some prize money coming from the state fair and sprung for an oliso--I must say I love it. Its the one that pops up when you move it off the fabric and take your hand off the handle. Was a bit wild getting used to it, but now it just seems to save so much time when pressing a lot of small pieces.
    Old 01-30-2012, 06:40 PM

I have the very same problem with my Rowenta, when I am ironing i hit the steam button or water button and it gets wet, so it isn't leaking it is just the way the handle is made and I hit it with my hand. I also do not like the auto shut off. I have bought many irons through the years and have never found one I really liked. They all seemed to not get hot enough to iron out wrinkles in cotton fabric. Rowenta does. I have a nice cordless iron I bought several years ago but it doesn't get hot enough either, but I sure loved not having the cord.

Originally Posted by urgodschild2
    I bought a Rowenta several years ago but I really did not use it that much. My concern at the time was to get something that would shut off on it's own. I tend to forget to do that. (grin) But lately I have been using it more because I am back into quilting (more time because I am retired now) and It does leak water sometimes. I couldn't figure that one out until I realized that I was just touching the top spray button on the handle just alittle. So I am careful when I pick up the iron. I know when this one dies I will buy a cheap one. I don't think that it is worth the money for all the bells and whistles. Thanks for all the suggestions here.