Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Iron >

Best Iron

Best Iron

Old 01-30-2012, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by fmhall2 View Post
I say stick with the Rowenta. You don't always have to get the top of the line Rowenta. I have gotten some good ones in the $50-60 price range. I also have a Sunbeam and a EuroPro, but I still like the Rowenta the best.
I bought Rowenta and it didn't steam very well, so I wrote to the company to see where to take it to have in looked at in the Seattle area, but didn't even get a reply. I have a GE Light n Easy and love the dial. I have a Black and Decker steam express but really hard to see the dial to set it for the fabric you are ironing or pressing on. The B & D has automatic shut off which my husband loves because he is afraid I will leave the iron on. I find it annoying but getting use to it.

Last edited by quilting in my60s; 01-30-2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 01-30-2012, 09:12 AM

I bought a Rowenta several years ago but I really did not use it that much. My concern at the time was to get something that would shut off on it's own. I tend to forget to do that. (grin) But lately I have been using it more because I am back into quilting (more time because I am retired now) and It does leak water sometimes. I couldn't figure that one out until I realized that I was just touching the top spray button on the handle just alittle. So I am careful when I pick up the iron. I know when this one dies I will buy a cheap one. I don't think that it is worth the money for all the bells and whistles. Thanks for all the suggestions here.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:32 AM

I got a Rowenta at a yard sale for $1 that looks like someone dropped it because it has a few cracks in it but its the best iron I've ever had. My other is a Rowenta too but one of the cheapy ones. I'm pretty hard on my irons so I don't get the pricey ones. I've had it for about 4 years now. Thats pretty good for me. So more expensive is not always better.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:07 AM

HAve to say I bought a Rowenta back in 95. Still going strong but I don't use the steam function because of the hard water in my area. I buy cheap sprayers from dollar store and replace as needed. I love my Rowenta but when it dies, I'll buy a chaep one. Mine was made in Germany and has survived several falls so far. I think I paid about $100.00 for it then but it was great for pressing DHs and my BDUs for the Army.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:17 AM

I have a full size Rowenta (check where it's made - the German ones are best, not all of them are made in Germany). That said my travel size Rowenta (made in China) works well. I also have the Petite Press that works pretty well and is small.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:22 AM

I have no opinion about the brand but I would recommend that you buy a travel iron. They are terrific for taking to classes and great for pressing as you're piecing. The only time I drag out my full size iron is if I'm pressing a twin size or larger top. Have fun shopping.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:42 AM

I would buy a sunbeam or black and decker for $30.00, the new Rowena and other expensive irons seem to have more problems!!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:17 AM

I have given up on the Rowenta's. Now I just buy an inexpensive one that has the features I want. When it dies, it dies and I'm not out lots of $$$.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by irma tapia View Post
My 20 year old Rowenta is not getting as hot as it should. What brand of iron do you recommend? Looking for a good one for not so much$$$.
Black and Decker or GE at WalMart. Both have good steam and automatic cut off, both of which are important to me. You can probably find one or the other for less that $25. I've had a GE that I paid less than $20 for 10 years ago and it is still going strong.

However, I confess that I also love the Rowenta my daughter gave me--but it cost an arm and a leg. froggyintexas
Old 01-30-2012, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by aborning View Post
I recently bought a Sunbeam Turbo Steam Master at WalMart. I think it was priced at a little over $28. I REALLY like this iron--I even kept the box so I buy the exact same one whenever I buy one for a Gift (Bridal Showers or for Graduations). This is the best iron I have ever had and the price was ery reasonable.
I bought the same iron at Walmart. Our Wal Mart is only about 5 miles away, and I'm usually
there about once a week.....but... after using it for 2 or 3 months I went back and bought another
one just like it...for a backup iron. I am always sewing, pressing, sewing, pressing and somedays
I want to keep going without having to make a run to town...and also in bad weather I just don't
get out. That shows you how much I like mine. I do use distilled water, but that's fine with me.