Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Iron >

Best Iron

Best Iron

Old 01-30-2012, 06:51 PM

I have Black and Decker that must be 20 years old and its still going strong. I don't think it was too expensive. Probably middle price range. Its been a really good iron.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:01 PM

I really like my Reliable.I had an Oliso but it only lasted 3 years.For retreats and classes I have 3 Subeams that I bought at Wally World 4 years ago for $ 4.00 each at the black Friday sale.thought well at that price if it lasted a year fine.I am still on the first 1.Years ago I had a Rowenta and was at a retreat had asked the last person out of the room to please turn off the iron as everyone was using it.Guess what someone did not and it did not function after that.All that I have now cut off after 10 min.it is bothersome at times,but I have gotten used to it.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:04 PM

I like the idea of the old iron but I do have to tell you in 1959 my mom used the iron in the basement, she used to leave it plugged in, always turned it off, and one day we smelled something was hot, went to the basement the face of the iron had melted. It looked like a candle - thank heavens we smelled it before it started to flame. I never leave my iron plugged in to this day.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:08 PM

how did you get oliso to replace your iron? i'm on my third one in a little over a year. dealer replaced the first one a month after DH bought it for me, then i sent that one back, wouldn't heat at all. they sent me a new one and it spits and leaks water like crazy. they said the warranty was one year only. did you talk to someone specific? thanks in advance, connie
Old 01-30-2012, 08:11 PM

I went from a Rowena to cheap and light.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:37 PM

I have a simple Black and Decker from Wally world that I bought 12 yrs ago and is still going strong. I keep saying if it breaks I will buy and Oliso but after reading some of the posts I may not. I have had NO trouble with my cheap iron but it doesn't get as hot as the Oliso.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:59 AM

Had a Rowenta professional, very expensive, and started to leak, thought it was a fluke, purchased another one and within 6 months leaked like a faucet. Bought a T Fal at Shopco for about 40.00 and couldn't be happier.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:23 AM

Want an old fashioned dry iron? The Vermont Country Store has one. With shipping it's about $35. Great iron, light and get hot.

SandyQuilter
Old 01-31-2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I am on my 2nd Oliso. 1st died after 4 years and they replaced it for free. I also have the Velocity by Reliable. I don't like where the heat settings are. They are on the handle so I keep shutting it off or lowering the heat. But the steam from that is unbelievable.
I really like my Oliso. It is the second one. I bought the first one 3yrs ago. Then my mother got sick and I had no time to quilt, so it never made it out of the box until after she passed away last year. The thing leaked like a sieve from the first time I used it. I emailed the company and got an immediate response. They sent me a new iron one model higher than the one I had purchased. Their customer service is great. i love the self-lift feature. However, I will say that it does create a problem when I am sewing at retreats, etc. When I am using a diferent iron, I forget to set it on its heel. When I replace my iron, I will probably go with a Sunbeam. I have seen good reviews. When it quits, you don't have so much invested. You can buy 6 or 7 Sunbeams for the price of one Oliso
Old 02-01-2012, 05:24 PM

Bought a small Rowenta for it's light weight. Not long after I read a thread on here about Rowenta's leaking water, mine did a guyser out of the handle. Went to Target and bought a Sunbeam on sale and love it. It' not as heavy as my old Black and Decker but it fits my hand and I love it. No more pricey Rowentas for me.