Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Loooonnggg over due before and after Singer Redeye make over >

Loooonnggg over due before and after Singer Redeye make over

Loooonnggg over due before and after Singer Redeye make over

Old 02-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

Here is a pic of the one I worked on today. This one is really nice. I did not have to soak anything in evap-o-rust this is just plain natural beauty.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]460434[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]460435[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails redeye-002.jpg   redeye-001.jpg  
Old 02-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Power Poster

This one had the stupid white tape all the way from front to back - it was the hardest part to get cleaned up. There are still quite a few scratches, pin rash and missing paint but I like the look makes me feel like someone loved it. AND from the looks and feel of the machine someone must have done quite a bit of sewing - turns VERY freely - they must have kept the lint cleaned out, too. Bottom side was nice and clean but has a glaze of dried oil.
This one came with a Singer chrome motor - it bolts on and swings around to the back - runs on a friction wheel. It still needs TLC and wiring. Took me all day on just the machine. It has a nice set of back clamp attachments, too. I haven't found a quick way to clean up bobbin winders with dried on oil. The tension was full of dried up oil.

Last edited by miriam; 02-03-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:45 PM

how many red eye machines you've got now? this is just a lovely machine. i don't have a red eye machine yet and am trying to get one too. but probably a treadle one.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:52 PM

Miriam that is a nice job you did on this redeye. Pat yourself on the back.
Skip
Old 02-03-2014, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

I don't know how many I have - 3 or 4 that work and a few that don't yet. Some are more derelict than others. I think I was scared of them at first. I think a few are pretty rusted up and some have parts robbed off. This one would ride a treadle or use the little chrome motor. I think the chrome motor is pretty cool so it will get that.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
@miriam - i just saw this thread and i will say that you did an amazing job transforming that 66 red eye. this is a great tutorial and will surely use this on my vintage machines. thanks for posting it.
Be sure and read every word Glenn has written about the refinishing. Then take your sweet time. Use the stuff Glenn says to buy. It will do every machine you have and then some more. I have to keep looking at Glenn's info to be sure I'm doing it right. I'm getting the hang of it finally. I think there is a LOT to learn. I couldn't have done it with out Glenn's help. By the way this is redeye #2 today. Another one has a sordid story. I took some with me to Florida and a man bought the redeye and another machine. Then he set them by the side of the sand road in front of his tent and doubled the prices - sand blew on the machines the rest of the week - pathetic. I would never have let him buy if I knew he was going to abuse. People were coming back to me and complaining. Once someone buys it it is gone. so sad...
Old 02-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

Glenn, do you have any advice or info on cleaning up/restoring the godzilla machines - the ones with the sandpaper finish?
Old 02-03-2014, 06:12 PM

I just clean the godzilla finish with a soft tooth brush and dish soap and water. Then rinse with a little water and a lint free rag. If the rag leaves lint use a clean tooth brush to remove them. Not much you can do with the godzilla finish. Do not use any kind of wax on this finish or you will have a mess on your hands. I have used a 50% mixture of turps and boiled linseed oil applying it with a soft brush to brighten the paint up a little, then wipe it dry with a soft rag. You can also use sewing machine oil and a soft brush and rag to clean the finish if it is not to dirty. They are painted so if you need to touch up the paint you will need to mix paint to match the color. I use artist oil paints for this. I have a 128 blackside godzilla that I need to dig out and work on so I can do a tutorial on cleaning/restoring godzilla finish. I will try diff cleaning methods and let you know the best method to use. This will take awhile but you can start cleaning using the tech I mentioned above until then.
Skip
Old 02-17-2014, 04:14 PM

Thank you Miriam, Glen, Pat and Phil. I've really enjoyed reading about the restoration process. I have a few machines (including the peeling FW I mentioned in the other thread,) that I plan to use Glen's method on. Yeah...it's a little intimidating, but as Walt Disney's Goofy says, "Yup...I'm brave, but I'm careful!"
~ Cindy
Old 03-22-2014, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

Ok here goes again. A derelict machine showed up and so did the DGDs. Miss L helped me redo this machine. She was a bit miffed that I wouldn't let her French Polish but she did a lot of other stuff. She is a quick study. We went from before to after and sewing on it from last night to this morning. Nope didn't stay up all night. [ATTACH=CONFIG]468551[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails singer-66-make-over-001.jpg