Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
had to buy a new iron >

had to buy a new iron

had to buy a new iron

Old 11-11-2010, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by quiltluvr
I have a Rowenta. Never had a problem and mine does not auto shut off. I did go to Walmart and purchase a cheaper iron to use just with starch, has a teflon bottom. The Rowenta is what hubby uses for his shirts so couldn't leave the bottom dirty.
Couldn't help but notice the "...what hubby uses...". I want one of those (a hubby that irons!). Maybe I'll show mine this post and he'll take the hint. LOL
Old 11-11-2010, 01:15 PM

Before Joann's wouldn't let you use the coupon on the Rowenta, I bought a travel iron. I absolutely loved it. But it broke after a short period of time. It won't let you put pressure on it. I broke the handle. I returned it and they gave me another one. I broke it too. But while it was working it was a wonderful little travel iron. I might have tried it a third time but Joann's stopped letting you use coupons on the irons.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:16 PM

My old Black & Decker just wouldn't steam anymore and teflon wearing off.
I just bought a Hamilton Beach model 149727 1500 watts with 'burst of steam' button. It is 5 lbs - just like the B & D but is elongated. Looks like a space ship.
Shuts off if upright after 15 minutes. Light blinks at you until you unplug it. A pain. I am going to connect it to a power cord so I can just step on button and not have to pull plug out of socket every time. Wanted to go back to stainless plate also. It's OK I don't empty it so I know it may not last as long as it should. Paid $27.00 in Walmart.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:25 PM

Shark Irons ROCK! I have been through three Rowentas in the last six years ( they kept dripping and spitting). Rowenta, at least did replace two of them since I had them less than a year. I now have a Shark Professional 1000 watt iron. It feels substantial, and it does a fantastic burst of steam. I also bought mine at Target and I think I paid $69.95 for it. Best Money I ever spent since I do iron a lot.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

Lowe's has the Classic Black and Decker with or without auto shut off, and the Rowenta's made in Germany, and many more brands of irons. If your local store doen't have them you can probably find them online. DH never thought I'd use my Lowe's card as much as I do when he gave me his extra one. LOL. Home Depot has the no steam iron with solid sole plate you can order online.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:18 PM

I did a lot of research on irons a couple years ago and decided against the Rowenta - I ended up with the Black & Decker Digital Evolution and so far it has been great. I think it was a little pricy then, but it may have come down by now. It was work the price. I had about 3 irons in about that many years. That wasn't a deal at any price.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by G'ma Kay
My 22 year old black and decker lightweight died in the middle of starching half square triangles. Researched the Rowentas. Saw where the lower end ones are made in china and several buyers complained about rust stains when the device had sat for a while. Looked at the higher end, on sale for less than $100, but it has auto shut off after only 8 minutes! Not practical for piecing! So I went to JoAnn's to see what they had. I bought home an Oliso. It's made in the USA, and it shuts off after 30 minutes. Did I do OK? Have you had good/bad experiences with this iron? I haven't filled it yet, so let me know if I need to take it back. Thanks for your input. Also, hug a veteran tomorrow.
For under 40 dollars you can get a T FAL and the sole plate and iron are the best I have ever come across. It is not so heavy and has steam, or dry settings. I think you can get these at Target, Walmart (some) and BJ's. BTW I only use distilled water, and have never had a Spit!

:D
Old 11-11-2010, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by G'ma Kay
My 22 year old black and decker lightweight died in the middle of starching half square triangles. Researched the Rowentas. Saw where the lower end ones are made in china and several buyers complained about rust stains when the device had sat for a while. Looked at the higher end, on sale for less than $100, but it has auto shut off after only 8 minutes! Not practical for piecing! So I went to JoAnn's to see what they had. I bought home an Oliso. It's made in the USA, and it shuts off after 30 minutes. Did I do OK? Have you had good/bad experiences with this iron? I haven't filled it yet, so let me know if I need to take it back. Thanks for your input. Also, hug a veteran tomorrow.
I bought an Oliso @ the last quilt show and absolutely LOVE IT!! It heats up so fast, and it has the auto lift feature that I can either have on or off.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
Good timing for this topic-I spent an hour on-line researching the Oliso iron (Joann's has them on sale 25% off (on-line) and I think it is what I want. I just hope it re-heats quickly after shut off! I wish it had OPTIONAL 30 min shut off for quilters!
After shutoff - mine reheats to the Linen setting in less than half a minute. LOVE IT!!
Old 11-11-2010, 04:12 PM

Love my Oliso. Got it from Amazon.

FREE Quilting Newsletter