Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >
  • On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

• On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-07-2017, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by SoBuzy
    I purchased my material but my mom fell and broke her pelvic so have not even taken material out of bag!  Hoping I can catch up. Finished BHMQ TOP last year but haven’t Quilted it yet! Hope to eventually!!
    We are in somewhat of the same boat. My mom fell but just injured her foot but I have to change dressings twice a day. So very slow going here too. My thoughts are with you
    Old 12-07-2017, 11:33 AM

Kalama Love your tumbler quilt, it looks like an aboriginal art it self- Dream Time
    Old 12-07-2017, 12:12 PM

I have 70 FG done out of 100. But I realised last night I cut 6 more 4-at-a-time units than I need, so if I have to fill in at the reveal, I'll some already cut and the first seam sewn.
    Although I won't be completely done with them by tomorrow, I feel I'm keeping up better than other years.
    Old 12-07-2017, 12:58 PM

I'll be finishing up my geese as leaders and Enders with clue 3 I reckon, but I have over 100 trimmed so that's not to bad. I like the way my pinks look with the blues.
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Old 12-07-2017, 01:17 PM

very cool layout NZquilter.
    Old 12-07-2017, 02:32 PM

clues 1 and 2

Carol in WI, you mentioned speed. The first couple of years I thought participants might even be telling stories about having their clues done
    What I've figured out is they are likely using Bonnie's scrap user system. They may already have a pile of strips cut, or squares cut of all potential sizes, all they have to do is go pull them out of their drawers. If you eliminate pressing and cutting you can indeed be really really fast!

As I've gathered scraps, this is what I'm doing with them. The first thing to go with my eye disease will be cutting with precision, so since spring I've been precutting. My clear boxes, to me feel like a savings account, and I love looking at them.
    When I decided to do a 2" scrappy tumbler quilt, all I had to do was pull my neutral 2" squares and then pick and choose from the color sorted boxes of 2" squares. Fastest quilt I ever made!
    Attached Thumbnails ringo-clue-1-2.jpg   strings-neutral.jpg   precuts.jpg  
    Old 12-07-2017, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts
    clues 1 and 2

Carol in WI, you mentioned speed. The first couple of years I thought participants might even be telling stories about having their clues done
    What I've figured out is they are likely using Bonnie's scrap user system. They may already have a pile of strips cut, or squares cut of all potential sizes, all they have to do is go pull them out of their drawers. If you eliminate pressing and cutting you can indeed be really really fast!

As I've gathered scraps, this is what I'm doing with them. The first thing to go with my eye disease will be cutting with precision, so since spring I've been precutting. My clear boxes, to me feel like a savings account, and I love looking at them.
    When I decided to do a 2" scrappy tumbler quilt, all I had to do was pull my neutral 2" squares and then pick and choose from the color sorted boxes of 2" squares. Fastest quilt I ever made!

Just for the uninformed THIS IS NOT MY SEWING STASH! This is the stuff dreams are made of! I could only hope someday I would get to even a semblance of order approaching this. KalamaQuilts you are my hero! And that quilt is the Bees knees! Lovely!

Last edited by GramE; 12-07-2017 at 03:30 PM.
    Old 12-07-2017, 03:36 PM

I just finished my geese. Clue 1 & 2 done. I love reading and looking at all the great posts on this thread. I learn so much. Thanks Sewbizgirl for the great idea to sew a seam beside the first one to correct a seam allowance then remove the wrong/old seam. Also, to measure each geese and fix as needed immediately. Some of my geese are a little wonky. I better go back and measure all of them again.
    Old 12-07-2017, 03:36 PM

Kalama Quilts - your organized boxes are fabulous!!!

Yes...I think it's taking me time to cut my fabric up. Typically I cut fabric for a quilt all at once and then sew away. This is cutting a bit each time...and then working on the technique. I don't usually work this small, so I'm being extra careful and taking my time so I can have a good outcome. I'm headed off to make some geese now...I've done about 40 so far!
    Old 12-07-2017, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter
    I'll be finishing up my geese as leaders and Enders with clue 3 I reckon, but I have over 100 trimmed so that's not to bad. I like the way my pinks look with the blues.
    Oh I love this! A quilt just made from these 2 units would be fabulous!!!