Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 12-08-2014, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Windblown View Post
Thank You everyone for the encouragement, I will just keep trying on the Double Diamonds. I think that I will stick with the 3rd method, I just feel more comfortable with it.
I have switched out the pink for purple, my DM only bought me pink clothes all my childhood I had a pink bedroom and we also had a pink black and white car (1950's) and I have an aversion to to pink of any shade. I love the lavender plant so I'm going for all shades in that color.
You sound like me Windblown! My mom always dressed me in pinks and blues. I just hated that color and would not wear it for anything for such a long time. I had my "colors" done in the 80's, and wouldn't you know that pink is one of my best colors as I am a "summer". My mom knew what she was doing way back then, and my husband just loves me in pink. Some years when pink is "not in", I miss being able to pick up something new in my "best" color. LOL

We are back from visiting our grandkids in Phoenix, and I am behind already on this mystery. I have about half of step 1 done, and have read the directions for step 2. I have not decided which way I'm going to make these blocks yet. Gotta get organized here again.

Everyone's blocks are looking great!
Old 12-08-2014, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by pjnesler View Post
I've really been enjoying watching my scrappy blocks come together for clue 2 - using the first option I'm feeling good!
Love your fabrics!
And what a sneaky clever way to pull them togethter! This is truly a mystery, and I am learning to think about quilt block construction like never before
Old 12-08-2014, 12:02 PM

Quilting addict in Wales,
If you PM me I will send you the PDF which prints 12 per page 11x17 at 100%. I did this in Powerpoint as it is the only thing I know how to draw in. I couldn't get EQ7 to work. If you would prefer 8 1/2x11 or A4 or whatever you British use I can send that also

The finished size is 2"x4" and I added 1/4 " all round for seam allowance. I drew it so the two diagonal lines bisect the verticals at 2" each. This could well be done with HST if we weren't all sick of them, I think.

I make a piece of neutral 3"x5" and put on the bottom of the template face down, then I sew the triangles on as "piece 2" and "Piece 3" and I am cutting the triangles 3 1/2" on a side. Wasteful maybe but I get the right size.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:23 PM

Hi Sue,

Would you be willing to possibly send it to me in 8.5 x 10 size, as well? Thanks!

Love to see that you are "nawth o' Boston"...I am, too! Southern NH to be exact. Where are you?
Old 12-08-2014, 12:25 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]501819[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]501820[/ATTACH]The first two clues are finished! The to-be MIL and I are making half the units and were able to pump them out last night and today.
Attached Thumbnails unnamed-7-.jpg   unnamed-8-.jpg  
Old 12-08-2014, 01:06 PM

Have you ever had a day when nothing seems to be going right? Today has been one of those days.... I had a busy weekend an didn't get started on Clue #2, so I thought today I just might get most of it completed. Not going to happen!!!! First I cut out my 2 1/2 inch pink and black squares---boy it went fast. I thought "I'm cooking", this won't take long. I cut most of my neutrals and wouldn't you know it, I cut them 2 1/2 inches too. I thought how stupid. I cut more neutrals correct size and began to sew. Guess what----they didn't turn out the correct size. Well the way my day has gone it wasn't a huge surprise. Probably 2 hours later I have my first 4/1/2 inch block finished. I think I'll quit for the day and try again tomorrow.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:14 PM

Well, I decided to jump on this one today. I am a fairly new quilter and I don't have much scrap at all, so I got to order the fabrics for the quilt! I decided to go outside my comfort zone and get some batik fabric. I know I'm behind, but my huskband is going to be traveling for the next couple of weeks, so I can spend a lot of extra time on it. I don't currently have any quilts in progress, aside from a table runner I am going to bind tonight. I'll post a picture of my fabrics once they come in, they are gorgeous jewel tones so this quilt will be bold! I love everyone's colors so far.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:48 PM

May I ask at this late date, what is everyone marking their dark fabric with?
Old 12-08-2014, 02:10 PM

I used white chalk pencil

dressmaker chalk would work, obviously, but I prefer the pencil because of the fine point you can shape with a sandpaper pad.....ok, you see these are staples for sketching with graphite or charcoal. Watercolor and sketching are my 'crossover' interests and some supplies like to 'play' with everything.

Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 12-08-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:28 PM

I am ready for Clue #3. I am almost sad that I finished Clue #2 and I am really getting good at getting everything to match the way it should! LOL I used the first method, using the easy angle ruler.