Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need Advice on Powder Worm eBay Situation. >

Need Advice on Powder Worm eBay Situation.

Need Advice on Powder Worm eBay Situation.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:35 AM

Default Need Advice on Powder Worm eBay Situation.

If possible I am posting my complaint standing with eBay and need advice on if I'm on solid ground or in the wrong.

I wrote the seller through eBay my concern the seller shipping an obviously powder post worm deteriorated platform with a vintage machine. Admittedly, I did not inspect it for live worms. For obvious reasons, I closed the package up as soon as I saw the cinnamon colored powder and pinholes in the wood. Thankfully, the item was sealed in a plastic bag. Upon registering a complaint and getting a response I opened the package outdoors and took pictures. One should be attached. Also, attached should be the sellers response and my intended response.

I'm interested in others opinions if I should send this response. It will be sent through the eBay claim system so as to have a record of communication.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]474009[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]474010[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]474011[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]474012[/ATTACH]

Close picture examination one can see the powder over everything. I have not, nor intend to, examine for live infestation.

The seller has responded to you and offered another solution to solve this issue.[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Seller's message:
"I cannot believe that the platform for the sewing machine has worms and I didn't notice it. I have been selling on e-Bay for 16 years am in good standing with the company and didn't get to the point that I am now by selling inferior merchandise however I will refund your purchase price if you return the machine to me. If you want to keep the machine with a partial refund let me know how much you expect to have refunded and I will let you know if I can accept that. I am sorry that this happened and please let me know if you want to return it for the refund or if you want to keep it for a partial refund. Have a great day NAME EDITED OUT"

My intended response: Money is not the issue. Integrity is. You did not see this deterioration or mention it in the description? Seriously, you want me to believe that. I think I will let eBay decide what should be done. I want the machine and I will keep it. It has been brought to my attention this type selling should be exposed and if eBay decides to do that, I will be happy. Money will not make this right, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails img_0425.jpg   img_0416.jpg   img_0424.jpg   img_0423.jpg  

Last edited by Vridar; 05-02-2014 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Attach pictures
Old 05-02-2014, 08:48 AM

Ron,

If the seller has never been exposed to powder post worms before he may have not had any idea that there was an issue.
He could have just thought that the holes were old age or even holes from needles and pins pushed into the wood by an
Unthinking person. Not defending him, just another point of view. The first time I saw holes like those I didn't see any powder, so I
didn't realize there was a problem. I cleaned it up and applied new shellac. I suppose I smothered those critters in side the wood . However my damage was way less than yours.

Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
If possible I am posting my complaint standing with eBay and need advice on if I'm on solid ground or in the wrong.

I wrote the seller through eBay my concern the seller shipping an obviously powder post worm deteriorated platform with a vintage machine. Admittedly, I did not inspect it for live worms. For obvious reasons, I closed the package up as soon as I saw the cinnamon colored powder and pinholes in the wood. Thankfully, the item was sealed in a plastic bag. Upon registering a complaint and getting a response I opened the package outdoors and took pictures. One should be attached. Also, attached should be the sellers response and my intended response.

I'm interested in others opinions if I should send this response.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]474009[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]474010[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]474011[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]474012[/ATTACH]

The seller has responded to you and offered another solution to solve this issue.[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Seller's message:
"I cannot believe that the platform for the sewing machine has worms and I didn't notice it. I have been selling on e-Bay for 16 years am in good standing with the company and didn't get to the point that I am now by selling inferior merchandise however I will refund your purchase price if you return the machine to me. If you want to keep the machine with a partial refund let me know how much you expect to have refunded and I will let you know if I can accept that. I am sorry that this happened and please let me know if you want to return it for the refund or if you want to keep it for a partial refund. Have a great day NAME EDITED OUT"

My intended response: Money is not the issue. Integrity is. You did not see this deterioration or mention it in the description? Seriously, you want me to believe that. I think I will let eBay decide what should be done. I want the machine and I will keep it. It has been brought to my attention this type selling should be exposed and if eBay decides to do that, I will be happy. Money will not make this right, sorry.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:11 AM
Banned

Yeah, I'd have to say that EBay sellers are notorious for being unresponsive and inflexible. Seems like you found a seller that IS flexible and responsive. I think that their offer was reasonable. Not quite sure that i would have replied any different...

One "could" assume that the seller is being deceptive, but then why offer a solution that is under your control?

Also, remember that a LOT of folks do not think of these machines as tools but as hallway and shelf decorations and what we call wear,tear, and neglect they call "patina" and it is a plus.....
Old 05-02-2014, 09:30 AM

I would keep the machine and accept a partial refund and be content. The original listing claimed no refunds at all so this is a good halfway.

Before our conversations about the worms in the cabinet earlier this week I had never been aware of them. There is always a chance this seller is flipping out thinking they have bomb their house.

Deep breath, I don't think you are being pushed around here at all.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:51 AM

Well, until this post I'd never even heard of powder worms - and I'm 53 years old!

I personally think you got a very good response from the seller, and hopefully the seller will have learned a lesson and will look for items like that closer. I've bought machines and cabinets from as far away as GA - and never thought to look them over good for insects before bringing them into my house - so I figure I've learned a valuable lesson the easy way here.

I think you've gotten lucky the seller is willing to work a deal with you so you can keep the machine and get a discount. I think if you let eBay decide, they will tell you to ship it ALL back at the seller's expense. Anything else you want would probably require you to take the seller to civil court. I don't think eBay is going to take any emotional suffering into account.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:55 AM

I agree with the responses, that the seller really probably did not know.

He is probably surprised, really. What Steve (I think) said, about most people just seeing old wood with dents and hollows, and not being attuned to it being critters.

I think quite honestly it was an honest mistake. Ron, I think you said before that you tend to be a push-over. I totally understand that! I am also. Sometimes, when a push-over pushes back, sometimes it is tempting to to so with great force. I totally understand if that is a feeling that you have now. (Been there myself, too!) However, I really truly echo the others here, that the guy selling it -probably- just thought it was a funky antique look, and really did not think of infestation.

If it were me, I would suggest a reasonable partial refund; possibly half price? I don't want to muddy the waters by talking about $, but I think you are great with your hands and you can probably build something nice to pay hommage to the lovely machine.

I think the most important thing to end up with is a Good Feeling about the machine. I really think it is best to assume that the seller was not out to cheat you; or else you will have an icky feeling about the machine.

That is just my opinion, of course.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:34 AM

OK, you folks have convinced me. But, would it have been responsible of the seller to at least indicate the platform was deteriorated, turned to powder and contains multiple pinholes? When I first opened it and powder flew from the plastic bag and I saw all the pinholes I closed it up quick. Upon opening outside to take pictures after the seller's response, I realized it is much worse than expected. The seller could not have made a mistake to neglect mentioning the platform. At the least, as a seller if I had not intended to mention it, I would have removed the platform prior to selling. OK! A no win situation.

I will not accept a refund as the seller originally indicated they do not operate that way. I'll take them to their word. Money does not dictate.

Last edited by Vridar; 05-02-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Yeah, I'd have to say that EBay sellers are notorious for being unresponsive and inflexible. Seems like you found a seller that IS flexible and responsive. I think that their offer was reasonable. Not quite sure that i would have replied any different...

One "could" assume that the seller is being deceptive, but then why offer a solution that is under your control?

Also, remember that a LOT of folks do not think of these machines as tools but as hallway and shelf decorations and what we call wear,tear, and neglect they call "patina" and it is a plus.....
Steve, from your posts I have read, I can't believe you would not have mentioned in the selling description the platform is toast.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
Steve, from your posts I have read, I can't believe you would not have mentioned in the selling description the platform is toast.
I would have. But what I was saying was that if I was in the same situation that the seller here was in, the reply of an offer to "return for full or let's talk about a partial" would be what i would probably send.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:11 AM

Ron, if you keep the base, I think can kill the buggies and larvae by kiln-drying it; this base is small enough to use your oven as a kiln.

(The chemicals are NASTY and not always effective; trust me, I know from a bad experience... :-( )

Perhaps Uncle Skip/Glenn can chime in here as to an appropriate temperature and duration?

One the buggies are dead and gone, you could fill and restore the rest.

Good luck! I know you will find a good solution. And I really don't think dude was out to hose you. I hope you end up feeling good about it :-)