Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Last minute labels >

Last minute labels

Last minute labels

Old 10-29-2014, 11:15 AM

Default Last minute labels

Sooo labels . . .

I realize that most people do labels before binding, but I discovered that after binding so that's not happening. So what is my best option at this point?

I had originally thought I would appliqué a label written in fabric marker. I know that I can do a good buttonhole stitch. I also know that I'd have to buy iron transfers and fabric markers, so there's some expense there. I also am realizing that I had an appliqué lesson many years ago and think I remember everything but I haven't actually done it so there's alot of room for thinking I know what I'm doing and messing up. Any suggestions on supplies or pro/cons I'm not thinking of?

The other option is hand embroidering something. I used to embroider alot of pre quilted baby bibs so I know I can do this without messing up the other side. However it will be time consuming and Ill need to do finish knots on the front side. Also it may be difficult to work with a hoop on a quilt corner, and I've only embroidered without one once or twice. It would be a nice budget friendly option though and I have more experience with embroidery than any other craft. Any pro/cons I'm missing here?

All advise is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

Bonnie Hunter puts a triangle of light fabric in the back corner of her quilts with a hand written note. Even if you have your binding on, it wouldn't be too difficult to unsew one corner to slip a triangle into the corner that has your message on it either embroidered or written and then stitch the binding back into place after hand stitching the front of the triangle to the backing.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

Nearly every label I've done has been after the complete binding is finished. Have only done one the other way, and that was to cover up a little flaw. I would say if it gets a label, that is a plus. So many folks do not put one, and years later someone else would have like to have the information.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:19 PM
Banned

You don't have to buy iron on transfers. There are fabric markers that you write on the fabric and just use your iron to heat set the ink. Another option is to write out the label in pencil and embroider over the writing so the embroidery looks like your handwriting.

Cari
Old 10-29-2014, 12:21 PM

I use a laundry marker ink pen. Sign and date as any artist would their painting.
I like the lower right hand corner, and write on a light piece of fabric. I like simple
Old 10-29-2014, 01:30 PM

I thought when you appliquéd you used fusible interface to adhere the fabric and then stitched the edge. Or are you suggesting writing directly on the fabric? The back border is white flannel with bright paw prints. A few are black so there would be a few dead spots but its possible if the fuzzy isn't an issue.

What are laundry markers? After trying to mark with white fabric marker I couldn't see I'm learning that all pens are definitely not equal.

Will pencil show up well on the fabric? I could probably make due with the blue fabric marker I bought. It shows up ok on white, although I haven't tested on flannel. I'll probably just use block letters. My handwriting isn't anything special.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:02 PM

I always label mine after the binding is on. I use a nonwoven fusible, sew it with the bumps and the right side of the label together, trim it to a scant 1/8th inch seam allowance, cut an X in the fusible and turn it right side out. Then I write on the label with either a fabric marker or a Sharpie (I prefer the fine point not the Ultra fine point) then using my applique pressing sheet I press the label so that the fusible doesn't show around the edges and then I iron it onto my quilt back and do hand stitching around the label just to be on the safe side.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:58 PM

I too label mine after binding. Usually I take a pinked small rectangle of muslin, back with freezer paper, write with a Pigma pen, then hand-sew to the back. Sometimes I'll press under the edges of the muslin first for a more finished look.

I think writing on the fuzzy fabric wouldn't turn out, just my opinion.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:42 PM

You can print with your printer on fabric (purchased or made/prepared yourself), and sew it onto the quilt. I usually sew mine under the border, and then slip-stitch the two remaining edges onto the quilt.

you can handwrite onto muslin (stabilize by ironed on freezer paper), and sew into the quilt.

You can write directly onto the quilt (test on some of the fabric on which you plan to write first).