Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I don't know if this forum is going to be healthy for me. >

I don't know if this forum is going to be healthy for me.

I don't know if this forum is going to be healthy for me.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:04 AM

Smile I don't know if this forum is going to be healthy for me.

I don't know if this forum is going to be good for my health.

I joined hoping to learn to properly oil and maintain my mid-century Pfaff 130 and Singer 15-91. What I've found is more info than I'll ever be able to process, a wealth of inspiration, such wonderful photos, such knowledgeable people...and I keep reading statements along the lines of "I don't really want/need another machine." "I wasn't looking for another machine," or "just one more."

I am not a collector. I lived a gypsy/single girl/military woman lifestyle until I was nearly 37. My biggest "collection" was vintage mother-of-pearl buttons, tatting shuttles, and military insignia - all easy to transport! Now I have four sewing machines and a serger. Two of the machines "followed me home" one for free, and one almost free. One machine and the serger were gifts from the Hubster, and one has been with me since 1975, so I can not set it free. It knows all my secrets!

I don't want or need another machine...but shouldn't I find a pristine Singer 201-2 to put in the Singer #42 cabinet...and then find an appropriate Pfaff cabinet for the Pfaff 130? If it were a "parlour-type cabinet", I could make a spot for it in my living room.

Enablers - each and every one of you. Wonderful, informative, entertaining, inspiring enablers.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to our world!
Old 04-16-2015, 10:24 AM

Welcome! I started out with a $12 Kenmore and now...20 machines and one serger later... lol
Old 04-16-2015, 10:26 AM
Banned

with no apologies, in fact, you're welcome!
Old 04-16-2015, 11:10 AM

I hear you. my husband just came back from his trip to W Va. his friend from 1965 asked him if I would like his mothers treadle. Well of course, I guess! I have no idea what it looks like, what brand, etc. All I know is his parents came thru Ellis Island a long time ago, so I am guessing she bought it after that.
and then my friend in Fl said she is donating her Kenmore to the church yard sale, as she really likes it, but doesn't want it any more. What she's donating it to some stranger without asking me first?
We will see if I get either one.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:12 PM

Yes, a bunch of enablers for sure! I remembered that my Mom had a treadle machine in the basement when I was a kid (about 60 yrs ago) and that I learned to sew on it. She is still in the same house and has had several electric machines since then. She is 92 yrs old and still sharp as a tack. So, I called her recently and asked her whatever happened to the old treadle machine and she said that it was still in the basement. We live 3 hours away and I had to practically bribe my DH into making a special, quick trip to St. Louis to look at it. Imagine my disappointment when she showed it to us - hiding under boxes under the basement stairs - only to find out it was an electric Kenmore. I said "I thought you said it was a treadle???" - she answered, I thought you said did I still have that old "pedal" machine????? LOL - LOL She wanted to keep it in case she needed to mend something. I did come home with a 301 in a blonde cabinet that was in her breezeway that belonged to her boyfriend's dearly departed wife. Now, my cousin just passed away and I am going to get a White electric in a cabinet as soon as they can haul it out of her basement. I would never have wanted more than one machine until I started reading about all of the machine collectors on here. THOU SHALT NOT COVET THY NEIGHBORS MACHINES.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:11 PM

Me? enable anyone? Na, you must be thinking of someone else!
Old 04-16-2015, 02:54 PM

Yep, this web site is what started my addiction to old sewing machines, (excuse me, hobby) for collecting old machines! LOL!!!!!
Old 04-16-2015, 03:26 PM

I think everyone is very good at helping to increase the flock.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline94535 View Post
I don't know if this forum is going to be good for my health.
It probably will improve your health substantially Caroline. You're being a very efficient member of humanity by conserving, re-using and repairing instead of increasing the carbon footprint of humans by encouraging shipments of plastic junk made overseas by low paid slaves.

Pat yourself on the back right now and smile when you get to save another 201-2 from the scrap heap, because in doing so you're helping the planet in many ways. This is not even considering what you do with the machines, which is adding even more value.

How could we not enable such a positive contribution to mother Earth?