Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Ladies and Gentlemen I need your help!   kitchenaid mixer cover >

Ladies and Gentlemen I need your help! kitchenaid mixer cover

Ladies and Gentlemen I need your help! kitchenaid mixer cover

Old 01-01-2016, 12:45 PM

Default Ladies and Gentlemen I need your help! kitchenaid mixer cover

I started making quilts with never knowing how to sew, so I can make quilts but as far as anything else goes with sewing I don't know a thing. I am trying to make a kitchenaid mixer cover It tells you to cut two curved end panels and one long straight piece to sew in between. I am going to put cording/piping on the curved pieces first and then sew on the straight piece. How do I sew the curved piece and straight piece together . Do I sew right sides together and cut notches in the straight piece as I go around the curve. I hope this makes sense and that someone can help me. If anyone knows of a tutorial, that would be great. I couldn't find one. Thanks millions in advance.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:53 PM

Use lots of pins before you start to sew and ease a tiny bit extra of the straight piece fabric in between the pins. Remember that the actual seam line is the only place the fabrics need to lay smooth. Then after sewing, you can clip and/or trim the seam to get rid of the bulk.
It also can help to sew with the fullness next to the feed dogs as they will help ease the fabric as you sew.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:40 PM

When you pin, start with the center point of both pieces. Now pin from the corners up to the curve. From this point pin often easing in the fullness. I would find center point between pins and keep going that way to fit it all together
Old 01-01-2016, 05:16 PM

i made a newspaper pattern around the mixer fold out top fullness at the top.
cut paper to fit top, mark cf and cb
split up the back for pattern, for curved fit. add hem and sa
i made mine out of heavy clear plastic,with no pleats.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:17 PM
Power Poster

it helps to ease the bulk in. what that means is, to put the fuller side on top and curve the fabric over your finger, so that the lesser or straight fabric is closet to your finger. this will help ease the fuller fabric, the curved side in. use lots of pins about 8 per inch, this will take up a lot of the slack. hope this helps, that's how I do sleeve caps on a constructed blazer. hope this helps.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:46 PM

My sister made me a cover using a woven placemat. She cut two rounded ends and just sewed the placemat to them.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:15 AM

I fold the panel in half, and the curved piece in half, marking with pins. Then match up the pins (in the middle) and continue to pin outwards, making sure the ends match when you get to the bottom.

Hope this makes sense. I've made many kitchen aid covers. They are so nice because they keep the bowl from getting dusty.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539213[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539214[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539215[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539216[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1227.jpg   img_1227.jpeg   img_6043.jpeg   img_6067.jpeg   img_6069.jpeg  

Old 01-02-2016, 06:48 AM

I want to make one of those kitchenmaid cover but have no pattern. It looks esay to do/sugarloaf
Old 01-02-2016, 10:14 AM

This is the I made ages ago and posted links to the pattern. But the links are no good now, the author must have taken them down. I just googled "stand mixer cover pattern" and found what I was looking for.
Attached Thumbnails 0109141051.jpg  
Old 01-02-2016, 02:44 PM

This is a good beginning project because mistakes won't be embarrassing. For practice, you can also make potholders, oven mitts, pillowcases, etc. - things that you don't wear out in public. (I hope!) A great first garment is a pair of elastic-waistband sleep/lounge pants. After that you'll be ready for your public appearance.