Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-31-2010, 09:30 PM

Hi Everyone, All I know is that this thread is going to get me into trouble !!! I never realized how beautiful some of these old machines are. I already have 9 sewing machines at home but not as vintage as the 2 I'm looking at on ebay. I put in a bid on a featherweight -what will I do with my Janome 720? and I made an offer on an electric Red Eye 66? What I really want to do is to get one to take apart clean it and then I can say it's mine!!! I love to take things apart just to see how they work. There doesn't seem to be alot of "works" underneath the treadles. Would it be possible to motorize a treadle? and if so, would it be possible to get a tutorial on it? I know, I know, wheels are turning and I getting into more trouble. it's late, I'm going to sleep--probably dream about all the trouble I'm getting myself in. Anne
Old 05-31-2010, 09:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lostn51

I am glad you got the machine!! Did you get it for the asking price or were you able to talk them down? Either way you can not beat what they were asking for and especially for a rarely seen decal!! I was going to get it but I found a Model 27 "pheasant" which is real rare decal especially in the condition they are in!!!

Billy
I didn't even try to talk down the price. I promised her on the phone that I would buy it if she would hold it until I could get there.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:40 PM

Dunster, Congratulations on your newly aquired machine.

Anne, I know what you mean. I spent wayyy tooo many hrs on this computer this weekend looking at Featherweights. LOL Oh well it has been such fun. Now just have to figure out how to decide on which year to go for.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by SherriB
Billy,

I ordered some #66 bobbins for my treadle machine. Now, how do I fill them up? LOL! The treadle came with the bobbin winder but I don't have a clue as to how to use it.
Go here for the user manual Download for the 66

http://www.singerco.com/accessories/manuals.html

It is the second one down on the page.

Billy
I downloaded the manual as you suggested....the only problem I have is that these "senior" eyes can't read the parts of the machine at the top of page 3. I tried a magnifying glass but that made it even more blurry. Does anyone have an original manual from which they can post a clearer picture?? It sure would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:09 AM

when i went on ebay per a fellow quilter suggestion to look at this particular model, i fell in love with it & it happened to be the year i was born! Needless to say, i won the bid and awaiting for her arrival any day. Haven't thought of a name yet so i guess when i see "her" it'll hit me. I do believe most all 50's model are the same size?
Old 06-01-2010, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by cjaye44
Billy,

I ordered some #66 bobbins for my treadle machine. Now, how do I fill them up? LOL! The treadle came with the bobbin winder but I don't have a clue as to how to use it.

Billy
I downloaded the manual as you suggested....the only problem I have is that these "senior" eyes can't read the parts of the machine at the top of page 3. I tried a magnifying glass but that made it even more blurry. Does anyone have an original manual from which they can post a clearer picture?? It sure would be greatly appreciated.
Cjay,

See if this one helps
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-76641.pdf (2.09 MB, 187 views)
Old 06-01-2010, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Help! Can't make up my mind. One is a Peerless and the other is a 'I don't know yet'. ...
Back on page 100 I posted a photo labeled 'I don't know yet'.

I just found out last night from the owners that it is a Burdick manufactured by the Davis Co and sold by Sears and Roebuck in the early 1900's(1899-1903) and later was renamed the Minnesota B.

Think I might get it :idea:

PS: warning to new members... this bug is really, really contagious, sew be sure to protect yourself! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-76659.jpe  
Old 06-01-2010, 07:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Honchey
Would it be possible to motorize a treadle? and if so, would it be possible to get a tutorial on it? I know, I know, wheels are turning and I getting into more trouble.
If you made the treadle to operate electrically you would defeat the purpose of the treadle. Now you can convert the machine to electric and leave it in the treadle if you wand provided it has the boss on the side of the pillar for the motor to bolt to.

And no your not going to get in any trouble in here, your considered family in the Shop and that will never change for anyone here!!

Billy
Old 06-01-2010, 07:29 AM
Banned

Help! Can't make up my mind. One is a Peerless and the other is a 'I don't know yet'. ...
Back on page 100 I posted a photo labeled 'I don't know yet'.

I just found out last night from the owners that it is a Burdick manufactured by the Davis Co and sold by Sears and Roebuck in the early 1900's(1899-1903) and later was renamed the Minnesota B.

Think I might get it :idea:

I think you should get it also!! And be sure to post more photos of it when it gets home!!

Billy

PS: warning to new members... this bug is really, really contagious, sew be sure to protect yourself! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 06-01-2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by cjaye44
Billy,

Billy
Only a suggestion. If you still have a copy on the computer see if you can make the text larger. I found that my manual was in a smaller text but was able to enlarge it. Just look around the tool bar of that page and maybe that will help you.