Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-26-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
Originally Posted by dirty1mom
Ok, I am happy. After work I finally got a call from a lady selling treadle machine in a parlor cabinet. I made my son take me and his pickup truck to get it. The top is missing a few pieces of veneer and there is a small decorative piece of wood missing in front. Fortunately I am friends with a wood worker who can duplicate the missing piece. The machine is a Damascus Grand. Know nothing about it but, I love it! The machine was purchased new by the seller's husband's great grandmother and has been in the family ever since. The man said he used to sew with it when he was a kid. No one in the family wanted it any more, so it came home with me. Will post pics when I can.
These are the pics from the CL ad. Not the best, but will suffice for now. For $35.00 I think I did good.
Pretty! Love the cute feet shaped foot pedal - it looks like a butterfly! I'd love to see a close up of the head.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by d.rickman
Just purchased Singer Featherweight 221 - and rec'd same July 23- 2011, (Date of Singer - according to the serial number is 1949). Machine sews very quietly and just purrs along. Original Singer case and Featherweight machine in brand new condition - as well as the manual. Used it to work on my quilt in progress - "Affairs of the Heart", just completed the center unit of quilt and posted pic of same on QB. So very Happy, and thought I would share with you all, my lucky find. Thanks for looking....
D. Rickman, congratulations on your FW!

Nancy
Old 07-26-2011, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by nickylsf
Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Actually my Davis came with a little original Singer envelope with 3 long needles. Maybe someone will want them.
I am looking for some long needles for my Minnesota D, are the needles around 2" long?
They are a hair under 2." PM me if you would like to have them! I am pretty new at this but I don't think I would need these on most of the vintage machines I might pick up (as I do see more in my not so distant future).[/quote]

Didn't you say they came with your DAVIS? I'm pretty sure they're FOR that machine...
Old 07-26-2011, 07:09 AM

Pretty! Love the cute feet shaped foot pedal - it looks like a butterfly! I'd love to see a close up of the head.[/quote]

I will have my son take some pics tonight with his cell phone. Mine takes crappy pic.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:13 AM

dirty1mom - You got a sweet deal!!!

D. Rickman - Congrats on the new Featherweight!
Old 07-26-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
greenini,
I have a 301 that has the little spots on it like yours. Do you happen to know what causes that. Mine has so many I call her Dotty. Dotty sews a great stitch and seems to like her name.
:wink:
Mine also has the spots just on the bed. Have cleaned her, but still is spotty. Doesn't effect her sewing ablility one bit.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by jljack
So, I am looking for a treadle base for my 66 so I can de-motorize it. I am not finding anything in my area reasonable (over $100 for terrible looking stuff), and neither is Sheryl finding anything around Fresno, though she has been trying hard to help me out.

If anyone here within reasonable driving distance (??? from Bakersfield, very little is "reasonable" driving distance!! But hopefully I can do road trip to No or So CA within the next few weeks) has a Singer treadle they can part with for a reasonable price, please let me know. I can do restoration work if required....DH is a "wood guy". Thanks!!
California folks - We (Janice & I) are also looking into the possibility that we would find a machine & cabinet. I am looking for a machine, working or not, with the coveted decals for display in my sewing room. She would take the cabinet, I would take the machine & we would split the cost. Let one of us know if you see anything in your local area.
I will keep a look; I'm always looking across the nation.
How far will you travel to pick up machine?
Well, Sheryl lives in Fresno, and my BIL lives in Stockton, and my brother lives in the L.A. area, so just about anywhere in CA, I guess.
From time to time, I see treadles cheap in the Modesto/Stockton area. I will let you know when that happens.
Thanks, that would work great! My BIL lives in Stockton, so a trip up is definately possible!
Old 07-26-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Sounds like the tensioner may be "DOA".
I do not like the sound of that. It may be time for a repair man. Kathie[/quote]

Kathie you can buy the tension unit online, and it's easy to put a new one on. My DH and I did it by just looking at the diagram. First one ever we did, and it was not hard. Don't pay a repairman!! You can do it!! :thumbup:
Old 07-26-2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme

The other screw simply wasn't shaped correctly on the end of it, nor was it long enough to actually touch up against the needle. It also could not slip through that inside slot. It looks like it is a screw for the top bed of the machine in order to hold down a seam guide or something similar. :-D :-D
So glad you got it going!!
Old 07-26-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Janice,

What type of irons are you looking for. I have a set from White that I got from a junkers yard with the head. The cabinet was totally gone. I have not looked at them that close but can pull them out and see and take some pictures for you.

Lisa
Wow that cabinet is GONE!!! :shock: Oh well, it's not the cabinet I necessarily need, although it would be nice to find a whole cabinet and Singer irons. But I don't think the brand of irons matter, right? Experts, please let me know if I am right on this. The cabinet would be a problem because of where the hinge attaches, but the irons are universal? Thanks!!