Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the information Billy. Are you sure you can't use 500' of belt material just for your own machines? Think ahead - 500' divided by 6' per machine is only about 83 treadles.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Banned

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy
Old 07-07-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Went thrift shop hopping today and came home with two more machines. Both in tredle cabinets. One is a Singer Red Eye (C5365359) the other is a Diamond (D49649) I am thrilled with my new additions but am thinking I need to find a 12 step program for my 'addiction'. Any idea about them, Billy?
Sorry it has taken me a while to hop on here I have a few thing going on here at the house I am having to deal with but I am here now!!

Okay lets start with the easy one here the Singer, The serial number is actually a G but sometimes after stamping millions of machines the dies wear out. your machine was allotted on April 26 1917 with 50,000 of them produced during that run.

The Diamond is a badges machine and just from not seeing it I going to say it could be a National but I really need to see photos of it so I can look at the features and tell you.

Sounds like you have a nice group of machines and I can not wait to see them!!

Billy
Gonna try to post some pics of my two latest finds.

Diamond D49649
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81229[/ATTACH]

Diamond cabinet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81230[/ATTACH]

Diamond is electric but not for long
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81231[/ATTACH]

Diamond is a little rough
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81232[/ATTACH]

Diamond faceplate
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81233[/ATTACH]

Red Eye cabinet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81236[/ATTACH]

Back of the Red Eye
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81237[/ATTACH]

Not too bad for an oldie C(G) 5465359
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81238[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-81224.jpe   attachment-81225.jpe   attachment-81226.jpe   attachment-81227.jpe   attachment-81228.jpe  

attachment-81231.jpe   attachment-81232.jpe   attachment-81233.jpe  
Old 07-07-2010, 04:33 PM

Just finished polishing the wheel after putting her through Billy's Kerosene Spa Treatment. She cleaned up pretty good and she turns on a dime : )

There's a couple pea sized paint chips on the bed that I am not sure what I should do with them...Should I fill them in with an enamel paint or leave them?

Any suggestions?

Judy

1902 Singer 27
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81242[/ATTACH]

a couple paint chips - center bed area
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81243[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-81237.jpe   attachment-81238.jpe   attachment-81239.jpe  
Old 07-07-2010, 04:41 PM

She's a beauty.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Just finished polishing the wheel after putting her through Billy's Kerosene Spa Treatment. She cleaned up pretty good and she turns on a dime : )

There's a couple pea sized paint chips on the bed that I am not sure what I should do with them...Should I fill them in with an enamel paint or leave them?

Any suggestions?

Judy
She's beautiful. I am going to start in on a model 27 next. On the 66 that I just finished, I used Testors paint on the chips. The local Michael's didn't have the pen, so I just bought the glossy black paint in a little jar and used a small paint brush. Mine had some major damage to the finish on its back side, and the paint made it look much better. You can still see the damage, especially since it goes through the decals, but it's less noticeable now. I followed Billy's advice and did the painting before I used the Liquid Gold.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:08 PM

Weedwoman, You sure have an eye for sewing machines. I really like Diamond's cabinet and I'm sure you're pretty excited with your treasures.

Can't wait to see it once you put them through their paces. LOL.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by dunster

Any suggestions?

Judy
She's beautiful. I am going to start in on a model 27 next. On the 66 that I just finished, I used Testors paint on the chips. The local Michael's didn't have the pen, so I just bought the glossy black paint in a little jar and used a small paint brush. Mine had some major damage to the finish on its back side, and the paint made it look much better. You can still see the damage, especially since it goes through the decals, but it's less noticeable now. I followed Billy's advice and did the painting before I used the Liquid Gold.
I think I might try that... I didn't put the Liquid Gold on yet thinking that I'd leave my options open.

Dunster did you put a clear coat on your machine after you did the touch up paint or just the liquid gold application? I wonder if automotive clear coat would be an option to keep the decals from deteriorating?
Old 07-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

I think I might try that... I didn't put the Liquid Gold on yet thinking that I'd leave my options open.

Dunster did you put a clear coat on your machine after you did the touch up paint or just the liquid gold application? I wonder if automotive clear coat would be an option to keep the decals from deteriorating?
I didn't put anything on top of the paint, except for the Liquid Gold. But this is the first time I did any of this, so someone may a better recommendation.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:03 PM

I may end up in divorce court soon. I just won another bid on a singer sphinx tonight. Oh well, I'm sure he won't fight for custody of sewing machines...lol