Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-26-2010, 06:10 AM

ljorange: Hold on to that gem ! I didn't ! Had my mother's Singer treadle but didn't have sense enough to appreciate it when I was young. ( not saying how long ago that was )Happy sewing. Loraine
Old 12-26-2010, 08:08 AM

I have no idea as I am computer challanged.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S
I have no idea as I am computer challanged.
Go to
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Check "System Requirements", and if your computer didn't come over on the Ark, click "Download"
Old 12-26-2010, 11:11 AM

Hi all, changing the subject a bit: Anyone have any idea what would make the motor race like mad on my Singer 27 portable ? Would much rather have it in a treadle cabinet but so far can't seem to get that across to family ! One of these day.....Anyhoo, When I plug it in and do not even touch the foot pedal , the motor takes off !!!Have to pull the plug immediately. I just oiled it as it hasn't been used in a very long while. Thanks for any help.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:31 AM

[quote=vintagemotif][quote=misseva][quote=vintagemotif]
Originally Posted by misseva
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by misseva
ok - now I know it's Christmas and you're probably full & sleepy but someone PLEASE go to page 492 and look at my pix of the La Reine Coffin Top Treadle. I can't find anything on the internet. I did find a number on the plate that goes over the shuttle bobbin and it's 2929792 and on that same plate it lists the size of thread/needle to use. It's driving me c-r-a-z-y!!!!!
Misseva
I came across a Davis "Honeymoon" machine, its treadle looks just like yours and the machines decals are just like your machine. It is the first machine on left, click on photo to enlarge.

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/collect...es-281857.html
Yes, the decals, etc looks just like mine except mine is a coffin top and the top is all flat and has a leaf that pulls up from the side. Mine almost looks like a decal has been removed from the front - otherwise it's just blank where the word "honeymoon" is stamped. And I saw the La Reine made by another company but still nothing on Levy & Sommers. But from just looking - it has to be the same machine just labeled differently.

LaReine #1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]147973[/ATTACH]

LaReine #3
[ATTACH=CONFIG]147974[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-147968.jpe   attachment-147969.jpe  
Old 12-26-2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Howard
Hi all, changing the subject a bit: Anyone have any idea what would make the motor race like mad on my Singer 27 portable ? Would much rather have it in a treadle cabinet but so far can't seem to get that across to family ! One of these day.....Anyhoo, When I plug it in and do not even touch the foot pedal , the motor takes off !!!Have to pull the plug immediately. I just oiled it as it hasn't been used in a very long while. Thanks for any help.
Do you have the foot control plug and the motor plug switched in the electrical outlet inside the cabinet or case?
Old 12-26-2010, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight
Do you have the foot control plug and the motor plug switched in the electrical outlet inside the cabinet or case?
This is a very old machine in a very old base with a very old cover ! ( also a very old operator , LOL ) The only outlets are for the motor and one for the light which I do not have. Strangely enough when the motor plug is plugged into the outlet that says "motor" nothing happens. It only works when plugged into the outlet that says "light". Figure that one out if you can , I can't. Soon I will have to have my friend
Ed come in and see if he can do anything with it. I did sew on it for years but that was quite some time ago. It has been idle for a long time. Ed is a Mr. fixit for sewing machines so it seems I will have to call him. I also have a Singer 201 that is creating birdnests under the fabric ! Just my lucky day. What a wasted afternoon trying to get them both up and running. Oh well, you don't know until you try. Thanks for showing an interest . Besides, it was a good day for doing nothing with the snow and all. Loraine
Old 12-26-2010, 02:25 PM

[quote=Howard]
Originally Posted by featherweight
This is a very old machine in a very old base with a very old cover ! ( also a very old operator , LOL ) The only outlets are for the motor and one for the light which I do not have. Strangely enough when the motor plug is plugged into the outlet that says "motor" nothing happens. It only works when plugged into the outlet that says "light". Figure that one out if you can , I can't. Soon I will have to have my friend
Ed come in and see if he can do anything with it. I did sew on it for years but that was quite some time ago. It has been idle for a long time. Ed is a Mr. fixit for sewing machines so it seems I will have to call him. I also have a Singer 201 that is creating birdnests under the fabric ! Just my lucky day. What a wasted afternoon trying to get them both up and running. Oh well, you don't know until you try. Thanks for showing an interest . Besides, it was a good day for doing nothing with the snow and all. Loraine[/qu

There must be a broken wire in the motor side of the outlet. The motor plug has to be in the motor outlet for it to work.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:41 PM

Hi featherweight.....Will try to remember to post the answer if and when "Ed" fixes it. Thanks, Loraine
Old 12-26-2010, 02:54 PM

I also have a Singer 201 that is creating birdnests under the fabric ! Just my lucky day. What a wasted afternoon trying to get them both up and running. Oh well, you don't know until you try. Thanks for showing an interest . Besides, it was a good day for doing nothing with the snow and all. Loraine

Loraine, Check to see if you have your bobbin loaded correctly for the 201 and that your needle is in correctly too. I sometimes forget which way both of them are to go in place, and I then have birdnests.