Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-06-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I'm back working in the dungeon. (My basement. A hoarder's paradise.) I hate to throw anything away. Does anyone need a solid hand wheel? I have one handy, left over from a conversion. I'm sure I have more!
Ok, I wish I had a basement, but out here in the west not many homes have basements.

Miz Johnny is it damp in the basement? My Free had been stored in a damp dark garage before I got him (Banjo). He had started to rust on all of the iron on the treadle and even on the working parts inside the machine head. I think one more winter in the garage would have done him in.

Nancy
Old 02-06-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I'm reading pages now too! What did you quilt/piece today?
This was one of those really fun quick projects. A small wall hanging with lots of fusing and cutting pieces. It is called Patchabilities. I think there is a web site. There are lots and lots of little projects for wall hangings for every occassion. We had a full class with lots of food, lots of laughter, and everyone got about as far along as I did - so very gratifying class. I am going to try and do one once a month! Oh and I came home and worked on it last night putting the ric rac on with my Free Treadle!

Oh in case anyone wonders, the quilt behind the little wall hanging is the one I am doing 'quilt as you go' on my 15-88!
Nancy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-72763.jpe   attachment-72764.jpe  
Old 02-06-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I'm reading pages now too! What did you quilt/piece today?
This was one of those really fun quick projects. A small wall hanging with lots of fusing and cutting pieces. It is called Patchabilities.

Oh in case anyone wonders, the quilt behind the little wall hanging is the one I am doing 'quilt as you go' on my 15-88!
Nancy
Ooooooooh....I like the Patchability quilt but I really love the one that you are 'quilting as you go'. Have you posted about how you are doing that? It looks wonderful!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:24 AM

Ok you guys look at this machine? Billy, Miz Johnny what do you think? I love the look of this machine!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2198110815.html

Nancy
Old 02-06-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Ooooooooh....I like the Patchability quilt but I really love the one that you are 'quilting as you go'. Have you posted about how you are doing that? It looks wonderful!
The quilt as you go is done one block at a time. You make your quilt block, sandwich it, quilt it, then attach them all together with sashing (white strips). This is really nice for people who don't own a long arm or don't want to pay to have a large quilt quilted! It is a fun way to quilt too!

Nancy
Old 02-06-2011, 07:29 AM

Grab it , Nancy with horses. I love it! So many out that way but shipping seems to be over 100 to send to Maine.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:52 AM

Ok Miz Johnny even if it is a TS, which I believe is the boat shuttle, it still looks really skinny. I would love to see that machine in person and watch you use it. Did the ad say how much it weighed. What a really nice find for you.

Nancy
I have at least one more like it, and they are very light weigh--as handcranks go. I wanted this one because it is in very nice condition.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:00 AM

Ok, I wish I had a basement, but out here in the west not many homes have basements.

Miz Johnny is it damp in the basement? My Free had been stored in a damp dark garage before I got him (Banjo). He had started to rust on all of the iron on the treadle and even on the working parts inside the machine head. I think one more winter in the garage would have done him in.

Nancy
I keep at least one dehumidifier running year round. It is damp, but not so damp as to rust anything, and my machines tend to cycle in and out of the basement.
I worry more about water in other ways. I have had the sump pump pipes freeze up and spray water on my Pfaff treadle, water leak from pipes down on "stuff", a downspout come loose during a moonsoon and put so much water down the side of the basement that the walls bulged (had to have them reinforced with steel girders), and before I had it waterproofed, it leaked a stream of clear, clean water every time the water table got high enough.
Our basement has been a nightmare. My husband says he'd never have another house with a basement, I say it would just have to be a dry one.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:11 AM

Ok you guys look at this machine? Billy, Miz Johnny what do you think? I love the look of this machine!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2198110815.html

Nancy
It's a National copy of the W & G electric. The machine looks to be in very good condition. I have a Willcox and Gibbs electric, currently on loan to a girlfriend, who is actually using it. (The electrics put me off, so I had never turned it on.) You may or may not get it to run--it could be something as simple as wiring, or you might have to put a new motor on it. Go for it!!
Old 02-06-2011, 08:38 AM

Anyone know if it's safe to remove the feed dogs on my new 201-2? I don't want to mess anything up but I see tons of lint and debris under there. I searched for the answer but couldn't find it.