Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Darling? Husband >

My Darling? Husband

My Darling? Husband

Old 01-20-2011, 04:55 AM

I've been married to the same man for 40+ years, and I don't have a sewing room. We live in a cottage I work off of a 48" sq 36" tall granite top table. Needless to say I picked it out for our dining table. My machine is in a cabinet by the entrance to the house. I have "stuff" everywhere.....when my husband comes home in the afternoon he is soooooo happy I'm here. The only issue we have is with the attic of the barn where my stach resides in plastic containers.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:06 AM

Sorry that this is happening to you......If it was me.....I'd tell him when he quit watching tv that I would quit making quilts.......... like I said, that's me though
Old 01-20-2011, 05:07 AM

I'M SORRY YOUR DH ISN'T SUPPORTIVE. I'M SO LUCKY THAT MY DH EVEN TOOK ME TO PADUCAH AND THEN STOPPED FOR 2 DAYS IN LANCASTER AND WENT FROM ONE FABRIC STORE TO ANOTHER WITH ME. WHEN I SAID I HAD ENOUGH, HE ACTUALLY SUGGESTED THAT WE GO BACK TO ONE OF THE STORES SINCE I DIDN'T SPEND MY WHOLE BUDGET! I LOVE THE GUY!
Old 01-20-2011, 05:16 AM

Quilting is a sign of life and hope.His slight interest gives me freedom to make what I like. I think some attitude can be a controlling factor....you are out of their expertise and they do not like that. Boy, I do not want anyone getting involved, selecting my fabric colors, counting the squares I complete in one day, keeping track of my progress or ripping out. He is getting used to my "work" and does see that I can not work all day, but just a short time...besides that, I do not watch football! or hockey without my eyes glazing over. TV gives few good choices and when I go in to quilt there are dreams and wonderful colors to fill my evening. Live while you can.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:16 AM

If you really think that maybe he's jealous that he works and you "don't", then maybe you could get a "job", you wouldn't have the time to sew/quilt while he's at work, but the money would be YOURS for your quilting. As for your daughter sewing/quilting, does she have a job or is she in college? I would give her the same advice, maybe what he's jealous or resentful of, is the expense. See if you can interest him in some kind of hobby, wood working, painting, whatever, because as far as I'm concerned watching TV is a total waste of time.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:18 AM

I feel so fortunate. I never imagined a husband would not be supportive of such a beautiful craft. My husband is a woodworker and truly talented. I'm grateful that he seems in awe everytime I finish a quilt and tells me how awesome it is. He also comes to the fabric store with me and helps me pick out fabrics.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:35 AM

I had to shed a tear or two for you. I'm so sorry he feels that way. I guess I got lucky when I picked my Dear One. He loves quilt shops, quilt shows, and my quilts. I hand piece most of my quilts, so I can sit in the den with hm sometimes. He is in the process of redoing my sewing room, so I have to use the kitchen island to spread my cutting. He may not be happy about that, but has never said anything. It probably just makes him work faster on the sewing room.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:42 AM

I can't believe so many have posted with the same issue! Have these husbands been cut out of cookie cutters?! :)

This thread comes at a great time though because my husband and I just had a little spat the other night. He made a snide comment regarding my computer and sewing time. When I asked him to elaborate I could tell he kind of had second thoughts about saying what he did. He said "Well, the sewing doesn't bother me, you're just on that computer all the time." He later appologized saying it really didn't bother him and he didn't know why he said that. He said he knew I'm home all day with the kids and when he gets home I actually have a few spare moments and like to use them. He must have a little issue though to have said anything in the first place. I've tried to cut down on my computer time when he's home now though.

Dianne, I've got the perfect solution. You're in MS too so I say you come to my house and we can sew all day long and my husband can go to your house and both him and your husband can watch TV all day. :D
Old 01-20-2011, 05:49 AM

My DH is wonderful and encouraging. He also goes to quilt shows with me and the LQS. I am truly blessed.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:55 AM

Well, I am married to a totally supportive guy who brags (sometimes too much) about my sewing/quilting (in front of me, too). When I finish making something he will hug me and tell me how great it turned out, and then he'll ask which of the projects I've recently been talking about is next on my list. I really am lucky to have a DH who is so supportive. I wish all quilters could be as lucky.